Seriously folks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ribwizzard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Orlando and Tampa Florida
I leave for a little while and you all started doing it backwards again.
While the propane tank still has its legs, set it on level ground and cut your opening for the firebox. Weld on the firebox. Remove the fittings and install your plugs, NOW turn it over and it will sit level because your firebox is mounted at one end. Carefully measure and mark your doors. Using cardboard , make a template of the radius of the tank where the doors are. Set this aside , you may need it if your doors don't fit later. Cut your doors and set them aside. Now we welded that firebox on with out cutting the firebox to cooking chamber opening, nor did we weld the top to the side on the CC side of firebox, so now we are going to reach in with our torch and burn the radius , using the bottom of the CC to guide our torch. Because you didn't weld that top corner, the plug will fall right out. Use that half moon as a diverter under your reverse plate to keep that spot from getting too hot.
I prefer a flat reverse plate with lip at end to hold water and grease, but if you want to get fancy, knock yourself out. Just remember, you got to get in there and clean it out, so keep it smooth. Bigger drain is better. Don't cheap out.
Now use that template to make some ribwizzard style hinges , two per door and install before your door flanges.
Don't mount your exhaust pipe over your food!
Give everything plenty of slop so when it heats up you can still open doors and slide racks.
Listen to Dave
Now get some rest and you'll have all day Sunday for the little details.
Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky