Seran on Window

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

7 Oaks Smokes

Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Recently upgraded to the electric 40 with window from a 30 with no window. Keeping the window clean seems like quite a chore. Even the break-in cycle left a good film to clean. Has anyone tried covering the window with Seran wrap? Just peel it off and toss it after each smoke. I have seen recipes where people wrap meat in Seran, so I figure it could take a low heat. To test it out I put a test piece on the inside glass and heated to 265 for a couple hours—wrap was still on the glass and unaffected. Just thought I’d put this out there before trying it with a cook. Thanks.

Recently upgraded to the electric 40 with window from a 30 with no window. Keeping the window clean seems like quite a chore. Even the break-in cycle left a good film to clean. Has anyone tried covering the window with Seran wrap? Just peel it off and toss it after each smoke. I have seen recipes where people wrap meat in Seran, so I figure it could take a low heat. To test it out I put a test piece on the inside glass and heated to 265 for a couple hours—wrap was still on the glass and unaffected. Just thought I’d put this out there before trying it with a cook. Thanks.
Ha...thats an amazing idea. I spray mine with Pam then wipe it off leaving a small film coating behind. It's a bit greasy looking but I don't think Serena wrap would be much clearer.
The smoke residue then wipes right off my window and wipes right of using newspaper and a little vinegar and water...wipe with a paper towel and done...
BUT, I am gonna try your seran
wrap idea...
Got a butt going on Sunday morning just because it's that time of year.

Reactions: 7 Oaks Smokes
If you clean it each time you use the smoker, the glass comes clean very easily with a paper towel & rubbing alcohol.
But the Saran wrap sounds like it may work too.
Al

Since I only use my MES40 for fish at low temps 125-160, adding a piece of saran on the glass might be the way to go. Might give it a try next time I smoke.

Last edited:
Ha...thats an amazing idea. I spray mine with Pam then wipe it off leaving a small film coating behind. It's a bit greasy looking but I don't think Serena wrap would be much clearer.
The smoke residue then wipes right off my window and wipes right of using newspaper and a little vinegar and water...wipe with a paper towel and done...
BUT, I am gonna try your seran
wrap idea...
Got a butt going on Sunday morning just because it's that time of year

Hope everyone that tries it shares the results. Also like hearing folks’ different cleaning methods. I joined the forum specifically to ask this question, but I’ve been gleaning great info from it for years. I appreciate the input. Can’t wait to start using the 40 Sunday. We have big summer pool parties and doing multi-day smokes in the 30 was getting to be a hassle. Now I can do it all in a day! Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I have to admit the cling wrap on the window idea didn’t stick, literally. Maybe it was hotter conditions out, but it wouldnt cling to the window before starting up the smoker. I went ahead without it and smoked four chickens. Cleaned the window with a razor blade followed by a quick wipe with degreaser and finished with a little soapy water and rinse. The razor blade is the key, simple and removes 90%. Oh well, on to the next hair-brained idea!

It might not melt, but I'd be concerned about chemicals outgassing into the air and landing on the food, leaching into the food, as the plastic wrap heats up. Somethings off-gas even without heat (plastic food containers, for example), but that can increase with heat.

Last edited:
Like Kris said I'd be worried about the chemicals etc from the wrap inside. I personally do a 50/50 blend apple cider vinegar and water, just keep applying liberally as I use a razor blade. Window looked clean after; and the mosquitos got to eat me.

I usually run a burn thru my electric smoker with fresh water in the pan, and just wipe it all down after a Q.
Nice and warm, cleans right up.

Vodka works pretty well for cleaning the smoke residue from the glass. I use the cheap stuff that my wife drinks. I have better taste.

Saran sounds interesting.
I'll be watching for results posts.
Like Al, I clean mine each time I use it, and that makes it fairly easy.
I tried Windex, Alcohol, BBQ cleaner, and Awesome.
IMHO Awesome is by far the best of all I tried.

Bear

A mixture of water and vinegar works wonders on my MES 40. Even if I let the smoker cool down before I do it, put it in a spray bottle, spray it down and use a green scrubber and it comes right off, spray with water after and dry with paper towels.

Mixture of super clean(walmart) and water, grease and smoke runs right off. Need to follow up with vinegar water to get rid of chemicals.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky