Senior send off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pabeef

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Milltown WI,
My better half is a special ed administrator last fall the asked me to cook for the staff . We had a great night with pork loins and smoked mac and cheese . So the senior class advisor asked if I would cook for them because they wanted to do something special because they were not going on a senior trip . So I agreed thinking like 150 people turns out it's 300 . So they requested pulled pork and smoked mac and cheese and home made sauce.
So I put the pork on at 4:00 this afternoon plan is to pull it off at around 5:00 in the morning and put it wrapped in a cooler take a quick nap and head to school and refire the smoker to do mac and cheese on sight. It sounds like a day of grazing with everyone bringing a dish. To pass.

So I have 16 butts 142 lbs
40 lbs of cheese
40 lbs of mac noodels
Not sure of how much sauce I will need but I make it in 3 gallon batches.
So if any one can think of anything I missed or my volume seems off please let my know .
I will try to post picture as we go.

Thanks Beef

Thanks guys
I am cooking on a friend of mine's pit it's a 500 gallon reverse flow . I have 16 butts on the bottom racks and could fitt a few more on if I need to.

Not sure if I will use full pans or half pans for the mac and cheese like I normally do. This is going to be a feeding frenzy from 10:00 till 2:00 according to my wife.

May be too late but, 142 / 2 = 71 lbs P.p. × 16 = 1136 oz / 4oz sandwiches = 284 sanwiches. If you don't trim too much and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you should get a higher yield than 50% and squeak by. 3 gallon Sauce is 384-1oz servings which should be good. You best bet to get 300 served is, have a Staff member making sandwiches using a Portion Scoop. With self service, some folks will take 2 sandwiches or skip the rolls and pile a plate full. You will likely run short. Good luck...JJ

Thanks JJ I figure it will be tight they are also serving brats and burgers I think they will have somebody serving . I hope we have enough mac and cheese I figure finished I should have 400 4 ounce servings and if it's close I can run up town and get more stuff for that.
Thanks for running the numbers for me.
PABEEF

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Barring a lot of Little Ones scarfing down the mac n cheese, you will be fine. With multiple Meats, you planned the Pork Very Well! A smaller 4oz Sammy is plenty with a second meat and good sides. Impressive planning...JJ

Well things turned out great to day and everyone enjoyed the food, and the weather was warm and sunny so a great day for the Seniors send off it was interesting to watch as the lower grades came through the gym to say good bye to them.

We had probably 30 lbs of pork left over and 4 trays of mac and cheese left. I think we could have feed the whole town with the amount of food that was there.
I did not get many pictures be cause I forgot .
20190516_111402.jpg
20190516_111402.jpg
20190515_164535.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
Looks good but...What is everybody at that school a VEGAN!?!?No way I would have expected Half your Pork to be leftover. Well, it freezes well and you'll be set for awhile...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky