1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Select grade brisket?

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by Mark Adams, May 16, 2018.

1. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Smoke Blower

SC
    Brisket in my area isn’t available at every grocery store, some have choice, others only carry select. Is it worth the time to cook a select brisket or should I just go ahead and stick to choice or prime? I’ve only cooked a couple in my time, is it good to start with select and go up to choice when I get more comfortable? Or should I just stick with one grade and go with choice? (Prime isn’t available here except for restaurants)
    Thanks for the help!

2. texomakid

texomakid Smoke Blower

I cook select briskets quite often. Low and slow. cook them tender.

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If we were talking, med/rare steak, Select is not very good. The difference between Select and Choice is much less noticable with low and slow brisket. Now even with brisket, the difference between Select and Prime is huge...JJ

4. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

I cook select brisket often too. occasionally we get choice but usually its select. My briskets come out very well and taste great. Go ahead and try a select brisket and prefect your technique on it then when the opportunity for a higher grade comes along you can compare.

that's select brisket

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

5. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Smoke Blower

SC
    Thanks guys, select it is! (Until there’s a sale on choice, haha)