Secret to Loading Vaucum Seal Bags without a Mess

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Does anyone have the solution to loading your bags - vacuum or Ziplock - without getting liquids all over the tops where they are going to be closed?

I'm thinking that some sort of funnel that is elliptical and conical is the answer. Of course, it would be great if it were a food tolerant piece of plastic whose dimensions could be fixed to that of the bags one is sealing.

Does anyone know of such a product? Or, better still, a DIY solution that can be adapted?

I've searched but my search fu is bad today and I'm getting either the entire world of funnels or nothing at all.

TIA

I roll the edge inside out and pull it down about 3 inches then add the food and pull it back up.  Although I have had problems with this too I have better luck sealing this way.  Hope it helps.

Stan

Reactions: AggieJack
Tupperware used to have a funnel (oval in shape with a broad top edge) that was just for filling 1 gal bags and seal-a-meal bags.

I have also taken those bags and put then into a 1 qt tall container and pulled the edge down over the outside of it. That will also give you something to hold the bag if you need two hands to fill it.

Brad

I put mine in a regular kitchen canister and roll the open end over the edge, I can fill hands free that way.

Rabbit hutch,

If we're talking a lot of liquid here, sometimes I will drop a 1 or 2 gallon sized ziplock bag into a empty stock pot or bowl with high sides or even a household mop bucket and then roll the sides down as stan mentioned above. (Bucket cleanliness is up to you.. ;)

Then I'll use a paper cup or something to ladel about 5 cupfulls of liquid into the bag. This liquid will naturally pool at the bottom and stabalize the bag in the pot. Now you should be able to widen the mouth of the bag open as big and round as it will go and the liquid at the bottom will help hold it's shape, thus giving you maximum room to pour the remaining liquid in.

One benefit to this method is now that the bag is stabilized by the pot sides and liquid at the bottom, you can use two hands to pour the remaining liquid in (if needed). In other words, if your aim is good, you won't even need to hold the bag while you pour the remaining liquid in. Just remember to leave ample room to zip it closed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
One of these canning funnels might work for you.

Canning+Funnel.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
I think if you just fold the top of the bag down (as if you were going to turn the bag inside out)
An inch or so...that keeps the top clean while you spoon or tong whatever into the bags. When your full just fold them up with clean hands and you're ready to seal or zip.

I use a wide mouth qt. or 1/2 gal. Ball Jar stick bag over the top and turn over. Have a towel to wipe outside of jar as necessary. This works great.

I have(had) a couple plastic drinking cups (not foam) that I cut the bottom out of and cut notches around the edge just for loading plastic bags with.....I use cheap cups, the 64oz ones that you might get from the gas station for $1.00 with a drink in them......They drive the wife crazy too..
sausage.gif
...She can't stand me littering up HER kitchen......So she will throw them away, but then she will be the first one to ask me, do you know where one of those cups are at
wife.gif
?????
hit.gif
I can't win..........ShoneyBoy

Last edited:
I have used my orange roast compressor for years!! I also made a couple of funnels using  3 PVC with a 4 or 6 in adaptor on top for funnel!  Also took a 3 in pipe and cut it length ways to make a way to slide things into bags!  works great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky