Second cometition-first 1st place brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokyokie, May 20, 2008.

1. smokyokie

smokyokie Smoking Fanatic

Team theqjoint.com entered their second competition last Friday and had a pretty good showing. I'm posting this in the beef forum because WE TOOK FIRST PLACE IN BRISKET[​IMG]

Not a bad overall showing either. 15th overall in a field of 49.

We scored respectable in ribs and chicken, but poorly in pork butt. I think mostly because it was overcooked.

I'm going to be out of action for a few weeks due to hip surgery so we don't know when the next comp will be, but we'll let you know when we find out.

2. bertjo44

bertjo44 Smoking Fanatic

Congrats! Hope the surgery goes well. Did you freeze some Q for the reserve while you out of commission?

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good job!!!

4. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Excellent! Can you post some pics before the knife?

5. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hmmm bout time ya got hip, Smoky! LOL!

Seriously...good luck and heal fast! You'll be dancin' round the pit again in no time!

And congrats on the win! I have been one of your most avid proponents of the sear method, I assure you!

6. smokyokie

The freezer stays full. Once or twicw a year I donate a bynch to charity so that I'll have room to store some fresh styff.[​IMG]

Thanx Joe

Sorry, as you know, it can get a little hectic around turn in time. We didn't get any pix. I can tell you this though, it was black and ugly. Kinda like a raw diamond before they cut it and polish it.

7. jbchoice1

jbchoice1 Smoking Fanatic

congrats. [​IMG] and good luck. just make sure you can get to a computer. keep us updated on your progress.

8. chargrilled

chargrilled Meat Mopper

Sounds like the info you posted about searing the meat should be my first chapter. Thinkin bout doing brisket after this weekend as the wife wants beef and is getting tired of pork[​IMG] . So I will follow your previous post about searing, Congrats and thanks for the info.[​IMG]

9. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Okie, the win is awesome! Way to go.[​IMG]

Sorry to hear about your surgery, hope all goes well for ya.

10. funh2o

funh2o Meat Mopper

Congrats on your first place showing in Brisket. [​IMG] Good luck with the hip surgury. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Steve

11. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Congrats on the Brisket [​IMG] , good luck with the hip.

12. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If ya wasn't a cobbled up old man I'd have to say something about that ... but I'm a nice guy [​IMG]

Oh and since you're gonna be disabled and all - I call first dibs on Lucille!

Congrats on the best brisket and Best Wishes to ya on the hip.

13. smokyokie

She will be needing someone to feed her and get her hot Joe

14. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Way to go [​IMG] on the comp Tim , good luck with your surgery , it's amazing what Docs can do these days , hope it goes well for ya !!

15. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Way to go and good luck!