Seasoning for pork chops before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Do you just use your standard rub that you may be using for butts and ribs? or do you keep it simple with salt, pepper and a spinkle of paprika? Or something different?

What about when pulling your chops out of a 24 hour brine, do you still season them or are they out of the brine and into the smoker?

Do I need to rinse off the brine and dry them?

Last edited:
Seasonings are whatever you desire for flavor.
You can use a simple SP, SPOG, rub of any sort sweet, spicy or savory, fresh herbs, you name it.
Brine then season is what I almost always do, unless maybe I plan on glazing with a sauce.
I rinse and pat dry before seasoning or cooking

I like SPG on mine or ... don't laugh ... Chef Paul Prudhommes Magic Salmon Seasoning (on chops or loin or loin steaks)

7f5223a4-fc10-41fc-a753-c20ea1b839b6_1.926adeb72f7ead751ace83f00cd9dae5.jpeg

Do you just use your standard rub that you may be using for butts and ribs? or do you keep it simple with salt, pepper and a spinkle of paprika? Or something different?

What about when pulling your chops out of a 24 hour brine, do you still season them or are they out of the brine and into the smoker?

Do I need to rinse off the brine and dry them?
Here's what I did with these nice thick ones.
Brine
1 c water
2 c apple juice (no sugar added)
1/4 c any non-iodized salt (I used kosher)
1/4 c light brown sugar
2 tsp coarse black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

Heat until salt and sugar are dissolved,let cool to room temp and add chops (I used a 1 gal ziplock)
Put in fridge at least 6 hrs- overnight or more.Take out 4 hrs before cook ,rinse and pat dry.

Add rub (I used Emerils Essence and some light brown sugar) and return to fridge uncovered to obtain pellicle.
Smoked over cherry at ~ 235 average to 148*F let rest - enjoy.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/fat-chops.270335/

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky