Seasoning Cast Iron Grill Grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ewsouth

Original poster
May 14, 2019
Central WI
Hi All!

This is my first post! I purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 and love it! How do you keep your grates well seasoned even through the high searing temps and sticky foods?

Thanks!

Eric

Welcome to the forum!
I would hit it with a wire brush when it's hot to knock the big funk off. Then maybe wipe it down with an oiled paper towel if it was looking dry. Keep the meat juices flowing and it'll take care of itself for the most part.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are *enameled* cast iron grates, which means no special care required.

Thanks for the prompt feedback! Even though they are enameled, they still seem to get caked and dry out. I will try a longer post cooking higher heat and a heavy brushing, following by Crisco. Thanks!

Thanks for the prompt feedback! Even though they are enameled, they still seem to get caked and dry out. I will try a longer post cooking higher heat and a heavy brushing, following by Crisco. Thanks!
Ahhh, I find tossing them on my gas grill (after I've cooked something) and leaving it cranked up for a half hour or so does a good job (just like the grill's own grates). The more indirect heat from the smoker generally is insufficient IMO. Also, dry isn't so bad, you don't want sloppy greasy grates. Depending on your usage, you may want to do a heavy cleaning with some grill cleaner once in a while, set the grates in a old plastic bin and really spray them down do get the sticky crap off. I think the crisco is just going to attract more junk, ymmv. Happy smokin'!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky