Seasoning advice needed for first chuck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Plan on trying my first smoked chuck this week while I’m on vacation. What kind of rub is best to use on something like this? Should I just use the rib rubs I have on hand? Should I just go with salt and course pepper? I’ve even seen a Stubbs brand beef rub at the store that sounds intriguing that has coffee in it!

also, what kind of liquid is best to use during the braise phase? Just a little beef stock or is there something better?

still haven’t decided how I’m going to eat this. Might just pull it and eat it as is, or making sandwiches with some melted cheese and onions sounds intriguing too.

Reactions: JC in GB
The choices are endless and entirely up to you. But you can’t go wrong with salt, pepper, onion and garlic (SPOG). If you want a little flair you could add chili powders and cumin.

I’m not a fan of sugar based rubs on beef. Some sugar is okay but I avoid a rub that is overly sweet.

Beef stock is perfectly fine so is beer if you can stand to waste one and not drink it. If you want to use the beef for more Mexican style dishes you can add a can of enchilada sauce.

I’m actually thinking about smoking some chuck roasts this weekend to shred, portion and freeze for future meals.

Also if you get a chance look for @chef jimmyj Smoky Au Jus. That stuff is seriously good!

Jeff's Texas rub is magic on beef IMHO. Also as other posters have stated, you can't go wrong with SPOG on beef.

Reactions: bgaviator
Wow thanks everyone. Sounds like SPOG might be the way to go. I’ve never mixed this up. Is it just equal parts everything? Should i use a course kosher salt and a course pepper? Do you like to use onion and garlic powder or granulated? I have an impossible time finding granulated onion and garlic here.

has anyone ever tried that Stubbs rub with the coffee in it? It just kinda peaked my interest too but I don’t want to spend money on it if it’s nasty

Reactions: JC in GB
Coffee pairs very well with beef, so I can’t see it being a bad thing. I have nothing against commercial rubs.

If I mix a lot of SPOG it is usually equally parts. If you find it to salty just add extra pepper, onion and garlic. Honestly I usually just add the ingredients on the chuck roast separately...1. Because I’m lazy and 2. Because you could see the amount of salt that goes on your chuckie.

I use kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Onion and garlic is usually in powdered form, we hardly buy the granulated stuff.

As far as commercial rubs goes you cant go wrong with montreal steak seasoning IMO. Very good on beef in fact that's usually what I use on my chucks as well as injecting with low sodium beef broth.

On another note I haven't had the stubbs rub with coffee in it but all of stubbs other rubs are very good and wont break the bank!

I like to use beef broth and sliced onions in my pan. I also put a small rack in the pan so the meat doesn't sit in the liquid. I also agree with using SPOG, however I don't make a rub per-say. I sprinkle each of them on individually. I normally go liter on the salt and heavier on the pepper. The onion an garlic are sprinkled in equal amounts and somewhere in-between. Remember you can always add more seasoning after it's cooked, but you can't remove it.

Chris

I like to use beef broth and sliced onions in my pan. I also put a small rack in the pan so the meat doesn't sit in the liquid. I also agree with using SPOG,

Chris

I do the onion too, as well as a couple carrots and celery stalks all coarsely chopped. Beef stock, plus some red wine and the rest makes a real nice jus.

I have been groovin on a coffee rub on beef. its a salt based with espresso.

as xray and JC mentioned - stick with a salt based rub. SPOG or Jeffs are both great! Chucks can be made any which way really. but I am all about salt based on beef - not a fan of the sugar rub on any beef - so I would skip a rib rub on a chuck. just my opinion there.

Thanks for all this advice everyone! Not sure what I’m going to do with the beef yet, but I’m leaning towards making a French dip type sandwich. Maybe making up a horseradish sauce, Au jus, and putting the meat on some onion rolls or French bread with melted provolone and caramelized onions.

Thanks for all this advice everyone! Not sure what I’m going to do with the beef yet, but I’m leaning towards making a French dip type sandwich. Maybe making up a horseradish sauce, Au jus, and putting the meat on some onion rolls or French bread with melted provolone and caramelized onions.

YES x 100!!! This is what I’m in the mood for! I have this exact same thing dancing in my head.

Post it up if you make it.

44DE239E-AB4E-42F8-878E-97F9E66B9D86.jpeg
We recently tried a new bbq place here in Memphis and they had beef ribs on the menu. I had never had beef ribs before but I was trying to determine what kind of rub they used. I thought it was really good. If you zoom in on the pic the spices are thick and granulated looking. Formed a nice crust and crunch in places. I thought there might be some sugar in it though

Sounds like a great plan to me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky