Seasoning a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropheus

Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Hi all. I am new to the site, very impressive. I can see myself spending quite a bit of time looking around in here looking for ideas. I just got a smoker, a Chargrill Smokin' Pro. I have never smoked anything before, but hope to become good at it.

Before I use it for the first time, what should I do to season it. Do I need to just start it up and let it burn for a couple hours? Spray it with something? Please tell me what you would do before you would use a new smoker to break it in.....

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Rub down the insite of it with cooking oil. Make sure you get it everywhere, and I even did the firebox too.

Then fire it up and get it good and hot for a few hours.

Welcome to SMF Tropheus. Pyre and Bob have given you the straight scoop. Enjoy that new smoker and let us know how things turn out!

After you season it, COOK on it, alot! Don't let it get pushed to the corner of the yard and go to waste. After a few uses, your friends, and neighbors will come by just to drop off beer, and sample food. I know 1 guy who has never eaten 1 whole piece of meat I cooked, but knows how everything I cook taste. I brings beer downstairs when he smells the smoke from the cooker blowing into his apartment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky