Seasoned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roy o

Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Just finished the recommended seasoning process on the Masterbuilt 40" with Bluetooth. If cooking goes this well, this is going to be fun!

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack so tell me if you want me to repost... But I just did this EXACT same thing and I got no smoke at all. Hoping to get some idea on why not before I really do any meat in there. Anyone have any tips/tricks? OP, hope any responses help you as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't want to hijack so tell me if you want me to repost... But I just did this EXACT same thing and I got no smoke at all. Hoping to get some idea on why not before I really do any meat in there. Anyone have any tips/tricks? OP, hope any responses help you as well!

Save yourself a lot of grief and just go here http://www.amazenproducts.com/

For $35 you can end all your frustrations and get great smoke for up to 11-12 hours.

Save yourself a lot of grief and just go here http://www.amazenproducts.com/

For $35 you can end all your frustrations and get great smoke for up to 11-12 hours.

So these things just get loaded with whatever material and go where? Inside the smoker on a shelf?

I've seen them just not positive on how they work or how to use them and never got to exploring it.

You fill them with pellets or saw dust, depending on if you're hot or cold smoking and place them in your MES. They are pretty much no fuss after they are lit. They supply up to 11-12 hours of smoke (or less, if you want). very easy to use and really take the headache out of fussing with chips every 30-40 minutes with the MES tube.You can do what you want but I'll hardly "fire" up the MES without mine. Small money and do a great job.

You fill them with pellets or saw dust, depending on if you're hot or cold smoking and place them in your MES. They are pretty much no fuss after they are lit. They supply up to 11-12 hours of smoke (or less, if you want). very easy to use and really take the headache out of fussing with chips every 30-40 minutes with the MES tube.You can do what you want but I'll hardly "fire" up the MES without mine. Small money and do a great job.

I ordered one on Amazon with some apple pellets(my families smoke of choice). So you light it, set it and forget it? Is there any special procedure for lighting?

I ordered one on Amazon with some apple pellets(my families smoke of choice). So you light it, set it and forget it? Is there any special procedure for lighting?

There is a procedure to lighting the pellets. However, even though you light them correctly, many times, you light it and pray it stays lit. That is why many people are converting to the mail box set up as it will stay lit with that set-up, so they say. The Tube will stay lit better than the Maze. Here is another pellet smoker that is supposed to stay lit better than the Maze...

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/wood-pellets/item/103-vortex-blend-pellets.html

I recently purchased this Vortex Pellet Smoker, but haven't tried it yet, but hope to within the next 2 weeks or so.

Last edited:
Interesting there are so many good things said if this issue really exists.

Most people use a propane torch to light them. Some use a alcohol gel. Whatever works for you. Light it, let it burn for 10 minutes and move to the smoker. Crack your wood chip chute about 2" open and turn to the dump position. That should give you enough airflow to keep it burning without problems.

A word about the pellets..... if you live in a high humidity or damp environment make sure you keep your pellets dry. They have a tendency to absorb moisture out of the atmosphere.

There is a procedure to lighting the pellets. However, even though you light them correctly, many times, you light it and pray it stays lit. That is why many people are converting to the mail box set up as it will stay lit with that set-up, so they say. The Tube will stay lit better than the Maze. Here is another pellet smoker that is supposed to stay lit better than the Maze...

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/wood-pellets/item/103-vortex-blend-pellets.html

I recently purchased this Vortex Pellet Smoker, but haven't tried it yet, but hope to within the next 2 weeks or so.
I saw this a year ago.  It looks like it holds the amount of pellets like the AMNTS vs. AMNPS.  The 30% charcoal is intriguing.  If you load it up in a ring wouldn't it burn to the other unlit tangent of the circle, producing twice as much smoke?  I guess you need a space between the pellets to burn around the circle to the starting point.  I am looking forward with great anticipation on what your method of filling/lighting is going to be, It looks like it'll produce a ton of smoke.  I'd do a test run without food since your advertising/recommending it but never used it.

-Kurt 

I saw this a year ago.  It looks like it holds the amount of pellets like the AMNTS vs. AMNPS.  The 30% charcoal is intriguing.  If you load it up in a ring wouldn't it burn to the other unlit tangent of the circle, producing twice as much smoke?  I guess you need a space between the pellets to burn around the circle to the starting point.  I am looking forward with great anticipation on what your method of filling/lighting is going to be, It looks like it'll produce a ton of smoke.  I'd do a test run without food since your advertising/recommending it but never used it.

-Kurt 
Although the picture shows it filled all of the way around, the instructions say to leave a tiny space so it will only burn from one end. I also ordered some of the 30% charcoal pellets when I ordered the Vortex.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky