seasoned or fresh cut wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

amigo4182

Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
ashland il
ok i have never used fresh cut wood to smoke with but i here that your suppose to use it over the dried out seasoned wood...is this true?

my seasoned wood chucks work but i would like to make sure im doing it right,to get the best taste....and i keep hereing from many many ppl that im suppose to use fresh cut wood.......umm so please help....lol

I only seasoned wood that has been dried for a year..  I only use wood on one of my smokers, and a large percentage of wood on my other offset.  I get plenty of smoke,  green wood makes bad tasting smoke.

I have read in other areas of the forum that you want partially seasoned/dried out wood that still has some moisture to it.  Having burned a lot of wood in a fireplace, I can tell you that some of the smoke was really nasty and I was glad most of it went up the chimney and not into the living room.  Other times, it was nice and sweet and I would close the damper a bit to fill the house with that pleasant aroma.   
drool.gif

dry/seasoned is the way to go.  Fresh cut or green wood *WILL* make nasty tasting white smoke which is not what you want.  Seasoned a year is best, but it depends on how it was stored (you may be able to season for less time).

Seasoned for sure. Not super dry but seasoned. If its not quite there yet i will cut into split sizes I need/want the day before and fire up the propane side of my chargriller and throw the splits in the grill with 2 outside burners on low and let it get done sizzling. Basically you dont want all that sappy moisture it creates the nasty stuff. Then when getting the Lang up to temp I place a bunch in the grill and a bunch on the FireBox and works out great. Kinda like a kiln dry session at home.

Doug

Seasoned for sure. Not super dry but seasoned. If its not quite there yet i will cut into split sizes I need/want the day before and fire up the propane side of my chargriller and throw the splits in the grill with 2 outside burners on low and let it get done sizzling. Basically you dont want all that sappy moisture it creates the nasty stuff. Then when getting the Lang up to temp I place a bunch in the grill and a bunch on the FireBox and works out great. Kinda like a kiln dry session at home.

Doug
I agree with seasoned. I have a feed sack full of maple "Pucks" we made. Just cut smaller pieces of maple, cut them into 2-3" thick pucks and chop and add as needed.

I tried the method of placing sticks just inside the door, as the main fire is burning, so that as wood is added it automatically lights and keeps the temps more constant. It seemed to work well, but I think that next time I will keep my fuel wood in larger pieces because the smaller stuff, after sitting inside the firebox drying, makes it so that I needed to add a stick every 45 mins or less.
My question is, if you are pre drying the fuel wood, does that reduce the moisture that people suggest comes from fuel wood as its added? Should I be using a water vessel inside to compensate for the moisture loss from drying my wood?

I tried the method of placing sticks just inside the door, as the main fire is burning, so that as wood is added it automatically lights and keeps the temps more constant. It seemed to work well, but I think that next time I will keep my fuel wood in larger pieces because the smaller stuff, after sitting inside the firebox drying, makes it so that I needed to add a stick every 45 mins or less.
My question is, if you are pre drying the fuel wood, does that reduce the moisture that people suggest comes from fuel wood as its added? Should I be using a water vessel inside to compensate for the moisture loss from drying my wood?
No, you do not need to add a water pan to your offset. Heating the water will consume fuel meant for cooking the meat. The moisture content of seasoned wood is minimal and will not have much, if any, effect on the humidity inside the main chamber.

Do you think that by taking the effort to stack the firebox with pieces to get hot and dry, that when you use those cinder hot pieces, it's possible to close the intake vents without the risk of white smoke?...

Do you think that by taking the effort to stack the firebox with pieces to get hot and dry, that when you use those cinder hot pieces, it's possible to close the intake vents without the risk of white smoke?...
At times, yes. But what you really want is a small hot, clean burning fire, so most of the time your intake vents will be open to provide enough air to maintain said fire.  

its a wonderful art, no?

Small hot fire with wide open vents is one way to cook, others here will tell you to get a basket, fill it as full as possible with charcoal and light one small area, controlling temps with airflow. Its like working on a Windows machine, there is more than one way to accomplish the mission.

Seems to me I saw Myron saying once that they only use 'cut yesterday' peach wood. Personally I blame that statement for the lack of available Peach wood in Denver :-)

Tsquared only uses well seasoned wood, mostly burning lump tho. Oak and Pecan are our primary woods. 

We are also experimenting with a water vessel right in the path of the heat as it exits the firebox. I put a high temp sensor on the container, when the temp skyrockets I know we are dry and its time to add water. Copper tubing and a radiator drain cock and viola, fresh water flows to where its needed. (its a new drain cock, don't even go there ) :-) I am finding that this does increase fuel consumption, but for meat that needs moisture its a great add. When I put chicken on the pit, I always fill 'er up. We then finish up with super tender skin. Briskets, butts and ribs...not so much.

I am figuring on a good elk harvest this year, I expect game will need the moisture, can't say yet. Never done it.....

--T

Seems to me I saw Myron saying once that they only use 'cut yesterday' peach wood...

We are also experimenting with a water vessel right in the path of the heat as it exits the firebox... I am finding that this does increase fuel consumption...

--T
Good Ol' Myron cooks at 350°-375° using charcoal for heat and green peach wood for flavor in his water smokers, not the typical "low and slow" approach.

If you can absorb the cost of using more fuel to cook on your pit and you like the result, that's great.
icon_smile.gif

350 - 375, are you sure its not 250 - 275?
That's what he claimed on the first season of Pitmasters. If you've watched him light his fire you'd believe it. His smokers are made to cook with high heat and a water pan keeping the cook chamber moist. He cooks butts in 5-6 hours and gets plenty of sleep at night because he doesn't have to tend a fire cooking low and slow.

seems to me I saw at least one of those shows where his team had a night cook

When is reality not real? When its on a TV Show, especially one that has to sell ad impressions. To my mind, there is no way that anyone who has an income stream that all starts with the words "Winningest Man in BBQ" is gonna give away such a major move like that. Love his public persona for sure, but money is really money.

I could see him saying use 'agave instead of honey' but a total strategic change? Not and still sell tickets to his classes. 

more of my 2 cents, your pessimism  may vary :-) and really I mean no disrespect

--T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky