Season an older charcoal grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

battalion1

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I live in northern Illinois
I have a Webber 22" that is a couple years old. I've used it for grilling only. I recently purchased a Smokenator and plan on using it soon. Is it necessary to clean my grill and season it for smoking? Or is it OK just from grilling? Sorry if this is a dumb question, obviously I've got allot to learn, but finding this is the place to learn it. Thanks for the help!!

I NEVER clean a Weber grilling surface!

I heat it up.  I scrape it down with a heavy duty painter's wire brush.  I heat it some more to sterilize.

Then I cook and enjoy!

Good luck and good smoking.

Clean it then use it.  My well used 22 Weber Kettle had been sitting on the side of the house for years until I received a Smokenator as a gift.  I cleaned the grill then fired it up.  Great little accessory for the W.K.  If you have any questions there are lots of answers here.  Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky