Sear'n'Bake Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
I have a smokehouse, not a smoker, so doing a brisket for Easter was a challenge.

To get some sort of semblance to a smoked brisket, I first turned on my propane grill's 4 burners on high and laid out the brisket on the grates and *POOF!* got it searing big time, first fat-side down, 4 ft. high flames, then flipped it 10 minutes later to fat-side up and roasted it for 30 minutes; got a good char on it, using no rub or sauce - bare meat only.

Removed it from the grill before I caught the porch on fire and put it into 2 turkey roasters (doubled) for added thickness, then into a 350° oven to start, then turned down to 250°, fat-side up after an hour. of course, I'd put in a couple probes to gauge the temperature rise, one in the flat and one in the point. After 3 hours the flat exceeded 190°, setting off my top-end setting, so I pulled the probe from the flat, only leaving in the one in the point.

Watched the temp rise steadily until it stalled at 160° for 1½ hours, then continued to climb until reaching 185°. I had to put a bucket on the opened oven door and drained off quite a bit of fat/liquid with a turkey baster from the pan, about ¾ of a gallon of it, then pulled it out and set it in the back fridge to let it rest and cool overnight. The bucket of brisket goodness I let cool, then poured into a Ziploc and into the freezer, for garbage day next week.

At 8:00 am this morning, I pulled it out of the back fridge, took it out of the pan and washed out the roaster pans and rinsed off the bottom of the meat and patted it dry. Then, (I'd made some up the day before) I got out my 'secret sauce' (2/3 Stubb's original BBQ sauce and 1/3 Olive Garden Salad Dressing) and painted both sides with the sauce, and put back into a pre-heated (350°) oven, turning down to 250° after an hour.

I applied a second coat 1½ hours later, then rinsed out the dish. The vinegary odor disappeared shortly after, as I knew it would. By 11:15 am the brisket hit 140+° and I turned off the oven and pulled the brisket out, covered it with foil, and we took off for my son's house, arriving just before noon. By the time we got there, the internal in the point had risen to 160°.

Shortly after arriving, the rest came also, and my son carved the brisket and the ham he baked. The only photos I got was of the leftovers we brought back:

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

But, a photo doesn't do it justice - the brisket was tender, juicy, and delicious, had compliments from everyone on how good it was! The hot and fast sear did the trick! Hopefully there will be a Camp Chef Woodwind by Christmas under the tree, waiting for next Easter!

Looks delicious Pop. I could smell that down here in Johnson County. Hope your doing awesome my friend.

The Ham and the Brisket look good from here,if your son used your cure for it,I know how it taste.I used your low salt cure my family an neighbors thought it was the best ever.Thanks for sharing that
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky