Screening pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure what you're screening.

I've a few issues with "pellets". In some bags, all of the pellets were not nuggets and many were inches long shards. They do not break up when pouring in the hopper. They bridged which means the long shards blocked the pellets from the auger. I flamed out in the middle of a cook.
I now pour pellets into a bucket and mash them with a home made t-bar.
A store bought option is a 5 gallon paint stirrer attachment for an electric drill motor.

Hope this helps

Reactions: ritchierich
I've heard of folks using a fan and pouring the pellets into another container in front of a blowing fan, which gets rid of the dust.
I don't bother but I've not run into all that much dust so far, and I empty my auger after cooking to keep it free of swollen pellets that have absorbed too much water vapor from the air.

I didn't comment on dust as all the bags of pellets I bought this last year (just got a pooper in March 2020) didn't have enough to concern me for clogging the auger or messing with the burn pot.
I bought a pellet scoop with slots to sift the dust. Great scoop, but not a useful dust separator.
I've heard of folks using a fan and pouring the pellets into another container in front of a blowing fan, which gets rid of the dust.
I don't bother but I've not run into all that much dust so far, and I empty my auger after cooking to keep it free of swollen pellets that have absorbed too much water vapor from the air.
We must be lucky. I type "we" as all of my pooper bros don't dump their hoppers or clear the augers after every use of the grill. We all store our units in unheated garages when not in use.

I'm pretty big on safety but I've never understood the need for those finger guards in a pellet machine where the auger moves as slow as it does. Mine's gone so I don't worry about "bridging" of extra long pellets. And I don't worry about small, sawdust-sized pellets either. They all feed just fine. So I'm not sure what RitchieRich is trying to screen?

if its dust, i never have. jsut dump the bag and fire it up. maybe mine arent that dusty? dunno
Hmmm. I didn't consider a concern for dirt, as in that kind of dust. Does anyone with offset stick burners ever worry about the cleanliness of their wood? I'll knock off a spider, but I don't worry about how clean it is, as in dusty/dirty. Do restaurants? Is "clean wood" a thing?

If I was seeing dust in my pellets I'd first look at how I'm storing them (Do not store them on concrete floors directly.) If that's not the issue I'm looking for a different pellet. So far, every type of Lumberjack pellets that I've used have been good quality as well as a few bags of B&B pellets. CookinPellets were all good except for the Sweet Maple (also used in their Perfect mix.) I've used Lumberjack for over a year and no issues with pellet dust at all.

I found different pellet company's their dust and chards vary. I have been using CC and LJ pellets. there is very little dust and chards in these pellets. Other brands after I smoke meats it looks like there was a dust storm in my smoker, found I am happy with CC and LJ. But I guess everyone's experience is different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky