• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Schweinbraten

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Hi Bill, I try to find a roast that has a thick fat cap and if it has the skin still on even better.
I score the fat cap in both directions ( cross score ) and in a large pot i put about an inch of water in the pot and bring to a boil , place the roast in fat side down for about 20 minutes.

Bring out and dry off, I rub the raost all over with my spices and oil--- BUT -- not the fat top , I just give it a good heavy shake of salt

Put this in my pan with my sauted veg and broth and beer at 350 deg. for about 45 minutes to an hour

Bring out remove from the pan of broth and veg, put back in oven at 425 - 450 deg for about 30 minutes, this should give you a great crunchy loud top skin. ( watch the skin in the last step, depends on your oven )

Once i also had to just take my cooking torch to the top for a little browning crunch. most times not.

this is a guide line to go with, hope it helps.

David
 
Mine is one of few things I think I have perfected. Super easy too just takes time. Take half a pork butt. Rub with:

I do not measure and do by eye but would estimate for 4-5lb roast
2-3T dry mustard (yes that much)
2-3tsp salt
1-2tsp WP
1/2tsp your choice of spice like caraway, nutmeg, cardamom or a mix
1/2 tsp yeast extract or accent

Wrap tight with plastic wrap, put in to ziplock or vac seal. KEY: hold (dry brine) for 1 week or so. Nothing fancy on the cook. 350F until 185F or so. Crust is pretty crispy but you could bump the heat up for more of hit it with the broiler when close to IT. My guess that over that time the salt drives moisture deeper inside away from the exterior and the mustard acts as a preservative. If you go down that rabbit hole, mustard seed has a TON of health benefits.

1790686470478.png
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky