Scariano Turkey Drumbs are GIANT!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I've seen posts asking where to get giant turkey drumbsticks or what brand to look for. Well Scariano Drumbsticks are GIANT 2lb each!!!!
So while at my local Albertsons grocery store I was walking by the poultry section and noticed there were some turkey wings there the other day so decided to check and see if there was any turkey on sale now that we are approaching November.

I saw 4 packs of Scariano Dumbsticks where each drumb was 2lb each and 2 drumbs per pack!!!! Price was $1.45/lb so I jumped on them.
In the past I would only see Jennie-O drumbs and thighs which were no comparison to the size of these.

I bought 4 packs for over 16 pounds of dumbs which was 8 drumbs total hahaha. They are in the curing/brining bucket in the fridge and they will cure until Sunday and I plan to smoke them a that point. I also put in 6 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast as that was on sale for $0.97/lb this week.

I'll post a picture of these giant 2lb drumbs when I smoke them. I just wanted to share the info and I believe this is the Scariano company that provides these monster drumbs: https://www.scarianobrothers.com/poultry/

Also in TX, Albertsons and Tom Thumb have turkeys already on sale. Honeysuckle for like $0.67/lb with $20 purchase of other stuff. Butterball $0.99/lb with $20 purchase of other stuff, and Butterball whole smoked turkey $2.49/lb straight up. Butterball turkey breast bone in buy 1 get 1 free. Gluck all you turkey junkies :)

I hope someone finds this helpful!

[EDIT: Adding pic below from finished smoke and link to hop right to the post with the pics]
wAt5isQ.jpg

Post with all pics further down: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/scariano-turkey-drumbs-are-giant.302520/post-2147944

Last edited:
watching also! Our local store had turkey drums on sale awhile back, limit 10 lbs, think for .99 cents lb. Asked for 10 lbs...got 4 drumsticks!

Ryan

• Wow
Reactions: tallbm
I hope I see some near me! I am definitely a turkey junkie and looking forward to the TG bird sales. I have come to prefer the cured smoked dark meat over the white. If I get my hands on some drums I'd like to try Pop's trick and pull the tendons after the smoke.

I hope I see some near me! I am definitely a turkey junkie and looking forward to the TG bird sales. I have come to prefer the cured smoked dark meat over the white. If I get my hands on some drums I'd like to try Pop's trick and pull the tendons after the smoke.
Im with you 100%.
I'm a poultry dark meat guy. I also honestly believe that cured and smoked turkey thighs are superior to drumbs :emoji_astonished:
I never would have thought so until I saw a bunch of turkey thighs marked down and no drumbs and I wanted smoked turkey drumbs so I was like "screw it" and I did the thighs cause it's all they had.... I was pleasantly surprised and now prefer the smoked thighs over the drumbs.

A huge benefit I found is that the thigh meat shreds and tears up better for sandwiches and wraps!!! Also no tendons to fight with, and finally, big hunks of solid meat cause thighs have such a great meat to bone ratio :)

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Dang the suspense is on. Gee man when I can I see them?

Warren

I'm hoping for Sunday. God willing, I'm done fixing up my rent house by end of day Saturday which finally leaves me a weekend day to do something. Been working 16hrs each weekend this month getting the rent house fixed back up for re-rental.
Had to have the outside siding replaced, toilet leak fixed, which lead to replacing tile flooring and sub flooring, some drywall and base boards on top of the regular stuff I needed to do and stuff I put off before the last rental lol.

I'm really look forward to smoked turkey Sunday hahahah :D

I'm with you on the rental is it really worth it? Have the same problems from time to time. Renters don't care and fail to report problems early on.

Warren

OOOH. Thighs sound good! I am normally prefer white but dark cured stuff seems better. I might have to learn to remove the legs from those $.69 birds...

We're brothers from another mother... Been working on my rentals too. I hope you finish! I am not even half way. Market is hot here right now and time to sell. It has perks and can make you money but depends on a lot of factors. I will get back in for the right deal after a nice break. SFR only on next round. It's funny how easy the work is now that I know what I am doing and have the tools. Still takes time and $$$ and I'd rather be fishing. Walleye are biting...

I'm with you on the rental is it really worth it? Have the same problems from time to time. Renters don't care and fail to report problems early on.

Warren
Mine is paid off and hopefully nothing too big will happen for a while. Floor tile needs to come up and I'm just gonna stain the concrete but not tackling that now. The plus on that is my brother used to stain concrete floors so I have some good cheap help there :)

OOOH. Thighs sound good! I am normally prefer white but dark cured stuff seems better. I might have to learn to remove the legs from those $.69 birds...

We're brothers from another mother... Been working on my rentals too. I hope you finish! I am not even half way. Market is hot here right now and time to sell. It has perks and can make you money but depends on a lot of factors. I will get back in for the right deal after a nice break. SFR only on next round. It's funny how easy the work is now that I know what I am doing and have the tools. Still takes time and $$$ and I'd rather be fishing. Walleye are biting...

I don't have or have room for a chest freezer but if I did I would buy some of those $0.69 center and pull the dark meat and grind the beast meat lol. I'll get a bird or 2 before the end of the year for sure.

My goal on the rental home (and more rentals in the future) is passive income for early retirement. This one is paid off as of August this year.
I'm targeting properties I can buy and pay off in 2-5 yrs in small towns where the price makes sense. I have 1 but If I get 3-4 I'm golden with $3-4k a month passive income. I plan to pay off the residence I live in with in 6 years as well and then will pick up more rental properties.

Our current climate has me changing priorities to be recession proof and pay off my live in residence but after I will again pick up more properties when I have no risk and if things get bad I just shed the rental properties I have a mortgage on and keep the ones I have paid off and are renting :)

I also use a property management company for finding, screening, tenants, collecting rent, and managing day to day operations with the property and the tenant. Worth every penny!

I looked at our Abertsons and no legs here yet.

I had never seen em before so may be a regional thing. I'm in TX and the Scariano turkey place seems to be in Louisiana so that's just next door :)

Reactions: zwiller
Oh man is this stuff good. And now the qView!!!

Cured and smoked Turkey Drumbs!!!
wAt5isQ.jpg

All I could fit into this tub, 3-4 more were still in the smoker:
1UGnH06.jpg

Size vs soda can: (notice the instructions for my squirrel trap under the can, I'll smoke em too if I can catch em lol )
saxjdHn.jpg

Cured and smoked chicken breast, 1 whole was still in the smoker:
d8jpGaE.jpg

All vac sealed:
l1rbsrp.jpg

A full smoker:
ejxMjgc.jpg

These drumbs were giant over 2lbs each!!! I ate 1 drum, left 1 whole breast, and 2 drums cooking and putting them in the fridge for eating over the next few days. The rest will be frozen and eaten as I want them :)

Smoke was a hodgepodge of all kinds of stray pellets and left over pellets in the AMNPS from last smoke (alder, mesquite, Pit Boss comp blend (maple, cherry, hickory), Bit Poss char oak pellets).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky