Scales

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stackhsc

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2015
What do you guys use for scales? Do you have one that does everything or one for larger weights and one for smaller weights? A quick look on Amazon seems the ones that are accurate to .01g are 500g and lower. It would be convienient to have one that would weight the meat and the ingredients/spices but perhaps it’s better to have two one for the meat weight and one for the ingredients?

yup, big food scale for meat

a cheap AWS 0.01g up to 100g, or even a gemini-20 that'll go to .001g for cure/salts/etc. should only be $10-20

Reactions: stackhsc
yup, big food scale for meat

a cheap AWS 0.01g up to 100g, or even a gemini-20 that'll go to .001g for cure/salts/etc. should only be $10-20

Makes sense. The weight of the meat doesn’t need to be so accurate but it would be nice to be one and done. Thanks for the reply 😁

Reactions: Hamdrew
i have a few cheapos. one is dedicated to flour, the other cure. sometimes potent/expensive ingredients (i.e. safron)

I use this scale for large quantities (meat, flour, etc.). Three years and am happy with this unit.

For small quantities (spices) I use this scale and extremely happy with the unit. I don't see it's available on Amazon any longer....

Last edited:
It's definitely nice to have two scales, one for meat and a smaller more precise one for measuring small amounts such as cure. As mentioned accurate to .01 grams

Ryan

US $0.98 35%OFF | Mini Digital Scale Guage 100/200/300/500g 0.01/0.1g High Accuracy Electric Pocket For Jewelry Gram Weight For Kitchen

US $2.80 32%OFF | 5pcs/set 1/2/5/10/20g Precision Calibration Set Chrome Plating Scale Weights Set Grams For Digital Scales Home Tool

Lots of great scales here at low prices.

I have an Ohaus Scout Pro 2000g from years ago. It's pricy, but it's well worth it. I acquired it during a lab clean out from one of my previous jobs.

Postal scale for meat and 500 gram scale for spices, my scale required a calibration weight which had to be bought separately.

I use 2 . I have the grams scale in post 5 . Comes with the calibration weight .
I also have a larger lighted scale with the readout that sits proud of the pad at angle . So I can read it without standing on my head .

My small scale is TL-series I purchased for around $15
In the box it is the size of a large print deck of cards.

My regular scale is a KD-7000

That is posting dangerously!

I have one similar to that one.
Like all Bathroom scales, not very accurate:
Get weighed. Then weigh again in 2 minutes--2 pounds different. Never gets the same measurement twice.
I believe there is no such thing as an accurate Bathroom scale!!

Bear

I agree the cheap ones are fine. There MIGHT be some culling of load cells for linearity, etc for the expensive ones, but I doubt it. The electronics are all the same and the technology just blows away mechanical approaches, partic wrt price!

If you have doubts, get a couple of DIY load "standards" (big washer and a soup can of cured concrete), mass 'em up on a precision scale (at work, rich friend's, etc) then write those high-accuracy masses on your DIY standards with a Sharpie, holding off on the final digits until a 2nd weighing to correct for the mass of the ink! Then you can verify your cheap scale with your cheap standards any time you wish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky