Saute Pan Material Preference?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Saute Pan Material Pfreference

• Stainless Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aluminum

• Cast Iron

• Non-Stick

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
I see prefences on smokers and such. I was wondering what is the preference for a saute pan,skillet or sauce pan's? I prefer stainless myself.

I have some thick bottom non stick that I mostly use.

They all have their pluses and minuses.

I seldom use an actual saute' pan, I prefer creape' pans. Made from steel, season like cast iron. Can get them cheap at local chefs supply store. come in about 6 different sizes.

I like a good heavy metal pan like cast iron but I use alot of heavy alumium pan.

Cast iron any day..... especially if I can complete the dish in the cast iron pan or dutch oven.

I'm torn between cast iron and copper bottomed stainless. I have this awesome stainless pan Made by la gostina, its 40 years old and the best pan I have ever used. It is almost as heavy as my cast iron ones.

I too love the steel ones sold in chef's supply houses. What I don't like are those pans with handles that can't be put in the oven.

Teflon pans are the only ones I use for pancakes or crepes.

What sold me on the cast irons was one Thanksgiving, I was going to make a green bean casserole using fresh ingredients, nothing canned except the Durkee onions for a topping.

I started off with two cast irons (big dinner) and equally divided up chopped bacon, mushrooms, garlic, etc. When i finished sauteing, I decided "why dirty a clean casserole dish?" and I proceeded to finish the casseroles in the skillets. The flavor was tremendous and serving it in a cast iron looked extra country and homey. They work well on stove top and in the oven.

I've been sold on cast irons ever since and hope to get my first cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. (with NO enamel TYVM). :)

Corn bread is another cast iron treat..... YUM...

Sorry, I got carried away about cast irons... <3

I get carried away by them too. They are the easiest way to toss together a meal while camping.

You have got to try this lasagne recipe. Made in a Dutch oven it is simply the best Lasagne I have ever tried and I am like Garfield when it comes to Lasagne.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=71932

You will not regret making it in the DO. I make it out in the back yard with the Do sitting atop live coals right on the ground all the time. The wonderful smell drives the neighbours nuts because we have had them over and served it to them a few times . Driving them nuts is just part of the fun of it all.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Man that sounds awesome! I BM'd the recipe and will be makin it after Xmas if Santa heard my wishes!!!! Thanks fer sharin that one.

I have a good mix... lol. Cast iron, copper bottom stainless, and non-stick. Depends a lot on what I am cooking. For searing I love cast, for sauces and soups the stainless works great, and anything super delicate gets the non-stick.

I love my cast iron pans and they hold the heat extremly well and work great when I only have one or two items going at once. When I have several pans on the stove going at the same time they are the non stick ones as they are easier to do the "chef toss/flip" with.

All of the above.Took awhile to get so many pans,but even longer to make em fit nicely in the kitchen for easy access....

I do have a enameled dutch that I use for soups, stews. I do want another dutch non-enameled for beans in my UDS. Of course I have a small non-stick for eggs. 90 percent its the stainless for me.

Cast Iron for me, I keep all my stuff down stairs, the wife don't like cast pans and don't want me using hers either, go figure.

I love my Cast Iron pans , even tho it took many many years to "season" them but now i can cook what i want and dont have to worry about any thing sticking in them, better then the "non-stick" pans and i dont have to worry about the pan getting scratched!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky