Sausages Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I did the chicken sausages, threw 'em out although everything went well but.... when in doubt throw chicken out. I live by the credo. My sausage grinder:

Here is my new stuffer..... more about this thing later! Manual LEM 5 lb'er

Below is my first modifier for my new stuffer! Probably my last one too!

Above is a 2 ft. cheater pipe. That's totally ridiculous! I am a big boy and I never ate that many Wheaties!

I deboned a butt, sliced it in 2" slices, then cut it into 2" cubes. Added seasoning, 1t. cure and 1/2 cup of water to 5 lbs. of meat. Sat over night in the reefer.

Pulled and ground the meat using the Med. plate. returned to the reefer.

Pulled the natural sausage casing which I got my education upon with the chicken sausages so was fairly simple to pull, wash, and check a casing. Although this new sausage stuffer is a greater pain in the butt to load the casing unto (starting to notice a pattern here) I left the end open so I could evacuate the trapped air before tying the end knot. Damn I am good.

Loaded 1/2 of the 5 pounds of meat into the stuffer thinking with 1/2 a load it would be easier to "push" the meat out. Realized Immediately that this was going to be like riding a bucking bull. If I did win I was still going to be wore out and sore....LOL OMG! I went to the garage looking for a cheater, I was no newbie to work and knew how to increase my force multiplier.  If I had a 8 foot cheater it might have been smooth work, but even with three I was soaked with sweat when finished Stuffin & Cussin! I know I must have been doing it wrong, Maybe I got a defective horn cause no one could sell these things if they all did like this. The only people who could use them would be NFL linemen with 4 foot cheaters. Ok, off my box.

This is going to be I hope 5 lbs of country smoked sausage when I finish reading and researching here how to do it. Only one blow out while "stuffing" was pretty pleased with that considering.

Oh. The other pork from the butt? Well made a great Jambalaya last night for supper AND I used Pops recipe and made some of the very best breakfast sausage I have had. Even my Pop complimented it saying it was like his Daddy made. SMF's Pops is really great to share his wisdom with us.

Three plates like the above, two of which hit the freezer.

So that is where I am now, going to go take a hot bath and get some Bengay for my arm and shoulder. Will continue later.

PS: Those manual horns are more work than using the grinder with the stuffer plate. Why do they even sell 'em? I expected it to help, its a LEM.

Laters all.

That is fine looking sausage, Foamheart. However, I would get an LEM or similar type stuffer. It is so easy, even I can use it.

As for Pop's sausage. I had tried several recipes and then found Pops. I was immediately advised by She Who Must Be Obeyed that Pops was my sausage recipe.

Disco

That is fine looking sausage, Foamheart. However, I would get an LEM or similar type stuffer. It is so easy, even I can use it.

As for Pop's sausage. I had tried several recipes and then found Pops. I was immediately advised by She Who Must Be Obeyed that Pops was my sausage recipe.

Disco
It is an LEM. Guessing I will find another one before any more sausage is stuffed....LOL I hate saying this but I obviously am not the man I used to be!

Har, I didn't know LEM made that style! Get a crank one. Does recommending that make me a crank?

Disco

just curious, why do you add cure? are you planning to cold smoke?

nice looking bangers
Probably, but didn't know for sure so I figured either way it would work.

I have not got it all figured out yet, cold smoke, poach, chill, hot smoke, wash, chill, a lot to take in. Years and years ago we made our own sausage, but I don't remember it being so dang complicated. OR use so many muscles.

Hi Foam!

That is some very pretty sausage you turned out.....sorry to hear that it was such a pain to make!

I have the LEM 1/4 hp #5 grinder and the LEM 5 lb vertical stuffer. This morning I cleaned a couple of lbs of misc trim from My Husband's First Deer, added pork fat and Pop's Breakfast Sausage seasoning, ground it twice, and stuffed it into sheep casings in time for breakfast at 7:30 a.m.

You need some better equipment!!!

However, I do love a man with a big cheater bar! :biggrin:

Hope you have a great evening!
Clarissa

Those horn stuffers are crap!!!! and yes they sell them everywhere. i am surprised you got the sausage to go out the tube cause usually it blows out the back.... I read a post where a guy said he used an old sock to wrap arount the pusher to keep the meat from blowing out the back.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Yummy....LOL The links look good after all that hard work.. I would look into a 5 lb vertical... nows the time to buy with all the sales. Northern tool has them on sale for 79.99 right now.. Thats a good price to get started

"What happen to the chicken sausages?"

It was chicken and they spent too long laying around before I got them. So of three packs of meat two were spoiled, and the other one I used in the sausage.  2 of 3 bad, and all that out time making the sausage no matter how well I watched the cold factor, I just couldn't let anyone chance sick. That would completely ruin me. It was ok though, I learned the lessons, I just didn't reap the rewards.

I will get back to chicken sausage with a much better idea now for a flavor profile. I think less is more, that way the chicken will taste like chicken.

I have to make some boudin too. And Andouille! This is the Cajun country smoked sausage. I know its going to be kick-butt awesome!

Can ya believe a man who can pull out a cheater pipe can't find anything to use like a dowel?

So its back to the ol'magic paper clips!

Five hours of pecan = nice color, excellent smell, and 150 IT I assumed it ready. Note those Chex cereal boxes, do I need to say what's coming next weekend?

So we decided if this wasn't any good we are going to just keep 'em under the pillow cause the smell so good! How could I go a whole week without smoking something? Rub these puppies behind your ear and you'll get all the ladies at the Christmas party wanting to nibble on 'em..... the ears silly! 

Here's the Bear view. It is delightful. It will not last long believe me and that's with having probably 10 or 15 lbs of store bought in the freezer. Its mild, its excessively mild. I am thinking next time it will be 4 Tbsp. of spice, but this my Pop really liked cause it wasn't too spicy. He's decided (in his old age), he doesn't like hot or spicy anymore. This is the man I saw eat hot sausage poboys, so hot the bald spot on the back of his head sweat! LOL

Bottom line, I am happy happy. Nice texture, excellent color, nice aroma, yes a bit too mild but definitely a good taste. Going to see about trading the horn stuffer for a crank tomorrow. Are plastic tubes better than these metal ones? The casings seemed to dry out faster with the metal than before was my reason for asking. Lets have those positive thoughts now tomorrow!

First time, no one sick....yet, sausage is good.

Thanks your help and coming to check on me and it.

Last edited:
Those horn stuffers are crap!!!! and yes they sell them everywhere. i am surprised you got the sausage to go out the tube cause usually it blows out the back.... I read a post where a guy said he used an old sock to wrap arount the pusher to keep the meat from blowing out the back.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Yummy....LOL The links look good after all that hard work.. I would look into a 5 lb vertical... nows the time to buy with all the sales. Northern tool has them on sale for 79.99 right now.. Thats a good price to get started
Going to talk to Meat Processors tomorrow about maybe working a deal towards another LEM. We'll see.

Horn just looked sensible to me, it is a simple lever principal. It should shot meat out like a rocket! But there I go thinking again. I like simple, no parts to break, no power required, zombie proof!

Last edited:
Very nice looking sausages. I was thinking about a stuffer so I could stop using my grinder to stuff. Now my mind has been made up, it's the 5# crank LEM.

They are some excellent looking sausages!
Thank you, after seeing some of your sausage I appreciate the compliment.

Looks great - very nice color, nice job.
It took smoke really well, It smoked like everything else. Just loves that 100 to 140 mark. I was in heaven yesterday, I don't remember being so enamored with the smell of smoke before. I put some in the reefer after smoking, some I put in the freezer immediately. I definitely like the immediately bagged and tagged better, had a more pronounced smoke flavor big time. But even that in the reefer that mellowed is nice.

Thanks for the compliment. 

Hi Foam!

That is some very pretty sausage you turned out.....sorry to hear that it was such a pain to make!

I have the LEM 1/4 hp #5 grinder and the LEM 5 lb vertical stuffer. This morning I cleaned a couple of lbs of misc trim from My Husband's First Deer, added pork fat and Pop's Breakfast Sausage seasoning, ground it twice, and stuffed it into sheep casings in time for breakfast at 7:30 a.m.

You need some better equipment!!!

However, I do love a man with a big cheater bar!
biggrin.gif

Hope you have a great evening!
Clarissa
I really like the sausage but next time it will be much better! I will have all that spice figured out. I like the 5 lb. quantity also. Its enough to last awhile but making it isn't a massive chore (if I get a crank sausage press) LOL. besides its enough so that you don't have to wait too long to do it again.

I just get to excited about the smoke. Seriously I believe I must be a smoke junkie!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky