Sausage stuffer clean up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I see several cleaning brush assortments for sale but most of them are flimsy and don't do a good job. Where can I get some quality brushes for my stuffing horns ? Also when I get the last squirt out of the stuffer what do you guy's use to push the remainder out with ? I use a wooden spoon that has a round handle close to the ID of the horn. Be nice to have a squeegee or a round spatula of the correct size.

I see several cleaning brush assortments for sale but most of them are flimsy and don't do a good job. Where can I get some quality brushes for my stuffing horns ? Also when I get the last squirt out of the stuffer what do you guy's use to push the remainder out with ? I use a wooden spoon that has a round handle close to the ID of the horn. Be nice to have a squeegee or a round spatula of the correct size.
The sausage maker has stainless disc mounted to stainless rod, that are sized for normal stuffing horn diameters. You can use to push meat out and they sterilize and clean easy.

Other tricks I've seen, wrap next smaller stuffing tube with cling wrap, use to push meat out. Or, a wad of paper towel can be pushed thru with anything and works well to squeegee meat out.

I bought a set of stuffing tube brushes for cleaning, they seem sturdy enough so far. Either from Walton’s or TSM.

Or, a wad of paper towel can be pushed thru with anything and works well to squeegee meat out.
That's how I usually do it. I have also done the smaller stuffing horn in plastic, but I mostly wad up a piece of paper towel and shove it through the horn with whatever is handy. I have the LEM 5# with the plastic horns so you can see well enough to know when to stop so you don't shove the paper towel into your casing.

Reactions: poacherjoe
I use wooden dowels that match the inside of the tubes . Not the exact diameter , but close enough for me . I bought a 2 brush set from Cabela's that works good .

This is from last week . You can see the dowels . I use them alone or a small piece of paper towel .
1667252757707.jpeg

I top off the stuffer with bread to minimize waste.
To clean out the tubes, I use a wad of bread and push it through with a bamboo skewer.
All of that meat+bread gets pan fried and fed to the dogs along with any left over lengths of casing.

A simple coat hanger and a piece of paper towel will push the meat out of the tube.
I'll push the paper tower right into the casing. Adds fiber.........lol

coat hangar.jpeg

Do you oil them like you would a cutting board to seal them?
No . I use plastic like Dan or just a paper towel . That spray in the picture is food service no rinse . 90 seconds kills the nasty stuff . Not worried about the sides , but I do keep an eye on the end grain .
I like Joe's method . Clean your tubes and find the underground water pipes in your yard .

Got me thinking now . I have a couple extra gun cleaning kits in the basement . A 12 and 20 ga. Brush wrapped in plastic just might work nice .

Reactions: DougE
Got me thinking now . I have a couple extra gun cleaning kits in the basement . A 12 and 20 ga. Brush wrapped in plastic just might work nice .
I was thinking someone needs to make something like a bore snake for stuffing horns. Not for shoving the meat out, but for washing inside.

Reactions: chopsaw
I was thinking someone needs to make something like a bore snake for stuffing horns. Not for shoving the meat out, but for washing inside.
There ya go . I have several different sizes of foam backer rod in the garage . Next sausage run I'm gonna try it and just throw it away that section away .

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
I use the paper towel wad and push it through with a handle on a wood mixing spoon... it all gets pushed into the casing and then the wad of paper towel gets squeezed back out of the casing...

For cleaning... I found a variety pack of bottle brushes that has different sizes and lengths ... Harbor Freight (I think... the minds a terrible thing )...

I purchased the LEM grinder cleaning kit with silicone spray a few years ago, and the brushes are good quality. I pretty much use just the 3/4" SS tube for sausage (Hakka stuffer), and the handle of my wok tool conveniently fits all the way to the bottom of that tube. Before the wok tool, I'd do the paper towel trick, but I think Chop's dowel idea is right on.

I purchased the LEM grinder cleaning kit with silicone spray a few years ago, and the brushes are good quality. I pretty much use just the 3/4" SS tube for sausage (Hakka stuffer), and the handle of my wok tool conveniently fits all the way to the bottom of that tube. Before the wok tool, I'd do the paper towel trick, but I think Chop's dowel idea is right on.
The wooden spoons in our turn style are my dowels . Maybe we need to get a patent on a mini plunger type device in a varied diameter's for the various ID's of the stuffing horns we use ?

...or water when there is a drought....oh wait-there is a drought!
Our drought is ending as we speak - been raining all night, and it looks like it will keep on doing so, until the first big freeze tomorrow night, and darn, the company that blows out the irrigation lines doesn't come until the end of the week!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky