Sausage Saturday - Jalapeno/Cheddar sticks and Jimmy Dean Hot knock-off breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Pork butt's were on sale for $1.49/pound. Deboned, I had 18 pounds of meat. Ground it and seasoned it yesterday. Stuffed it all today.

Decided to make a mess of my knock off Jimmy Dean Hot breakfast sausage but held 6 pounds back to continue to tweak my jalapeno/cheddar sausage recipe...which is the reason for this post. In the past, as a sausage making noob, I had asked about how much jalapeno and cheese to use in the sausage mix, the answers varied, of course. So I took everyones good advice on the first batch and did what seemed right. I adjusted this batch to suit my tastes better. But here is what I have landed on.

HIGH HEAT CHEESE: What I found was about 5% high heat cheese (by weight) was about right. Any more, in my opinion, would be over-cheesy for my liking. Some people did recommend up to 10% cheese, just so you are aware.

JALAPENO's: The rec's for this varied so widely, I just started somewhere and made adjustments for this batch. First batch I started with jarred diced jalapenos/drained. I used a drained 10 oz. jar for 10 lbs of meat...the jalapeno was barely noticeable. For this batch I used one 10 oz. jar of drained diced jalapenos for 6 pounds of meat and I think it is about perfect as checked with the test patty's, We'll see what the smoker kicks out in a few hours.

Progress pics...

IMG_7889.jpg

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7893.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky