Sausage run for freezer stock .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Made a bunch of homemade ravioli a couple weeks ago , and realized I was out of sausage . So an idea to make a couple pounds of Italian turned into a production . Ended up with 3 pork butts and a beef knuckle . Trimmed up and packaged the sirloin roast from the knuckle , and saved 2 pounds of clean trim for sausage .
Been doing some reading on Meats and sausage website , and have been wanting to try the method of pre curing the meat cubes before grinding .
So I cubed up 2 of the butts , one went to the freezer . One went for grind , and the 3rd got salt and cure added to the chunks .
That's where I got out of whack . I have my system down for doing this . Bone out , trim and clean up , then grind and season and clean up one day . Second day gets stuffed , third day is smoking if needed .
However , now I'm waiting on 9 pounds of meat chunks to cure . So I had to bite the bullet and do it twice . Once for the fresh sausage and then again for the cured and smoked stuff . I usually breeze through this anymore , but this turned into a chore .
Anyway . Had 9 lbs. of grind for fresh . Did 5 lbs. Italian herb and cheese .
That's a Sausage maker mix . I add white wine and some fennel . Skip the motz cubes and go heavy on the Romano .
20220116_135236.jpg
All mixed up . Nice and sticky .
20220116_135920.jpg
Didn't have time to stuff , so grabbed a pound out of the bowl and
cooked it in bulk . Smells so good .
20220116_172056.jpg
Added to the sauce and had some Rav's .
20220116_190803.jpg
Next day got it stuffed . My 5lb. Lem is on it's last leg . I've been limping it
along for awhile now . This run did it in .
20220117_113807.jpg
Also did 2 1/2 pounds of Hot links , and 2 1/2 pounds of chorizo .
The chorizo is a AC LEGGS the hot link is a marianski " Texas hot link " recipe .
No cure . I add a 1/4 tsp of Carolina Reaper powder to the 2 1/2 pound batch .
I've done it both ways . Cured and smoked , no cure and grilled . Both good , but makes a great grilled sausage .
Hot links on the left , chorizo on the right
20220117_120348.jpg
Ok , so back to waiting . Normally I'd be done by now .
Been 48 hours in the cure at this point .
This was all done first . Before any grinding or mixing .
Weighed out the salt and measured and mixed in the cure 1 to the cubes .
20220114_124629.jpg
Mixed it around good and pressed it down tight .
20220114_124819.jpg
Plastic wrap down tight to the meat so no air gets to it .
Then into a 36 degree fridge for 3 days .
20220114_124910.jpg
After 2 days I was getting impatient . I grabbed a couple chunks and put them in the air fryer .
Looking good , and they had great flavor .
20220116_102305.jpg 20220116_103014.jpg
20220116_103005.jpg
So I went ahead and ground it up . Had 2 pounds of beef chunks
curing also . Ground it all , kept it separate and back in the fridge for another day .
At this point I remember my stuffer is on the I R . So I had to tear it down and go get some replacement parts .
That took another day .
So now this is actually day 5 I think . Whatever it was , it was to long .
Decided to go with a couple chubs of Krakauer from Marianski and some type of smoked sausage .
I used the beef and pork 50/50 for the Krakauer . The smoked sausage was all pork
Thought I had a pic of the chunks pre grind , but this is packed in the stuffer .
Fully cured and really sticky .
20220119_091455.jpg
So I my rush , I ground all the chunks and didn't have any show meat for the Krakauer .
To the base recipe I added pureed ginger ( heavy ) ground caraway and fresh garlic .
Turned out like Summer sausage .
Stuffed and warming up on the counter .
20220119_092409.jpg
Got the MES set to 130 . Beech pellets in the 12 " tube .
Added some cherry for color .
It's already 11:00 am . Just getting it hung .

Now I get to mix and stuff another 5 lbs. of smoked sausage .
I ended up doing a hot smoked polish and Andouille combination from Marianski .
Quick note here , I have a kielbasa pre mix that I really like , but can't use it because I already have the salt mixed in .
I went heavy on the garlic and black pepper .
No pics of this before smoking , but I hung some in the 30 with the chubs , and the rest went on the smokefire pellet .
Ran the pellet in smoke boost . Couple hours it was ready .
20220119_125300.jpg
20220119_125409.jpg
Ran the MES for 3 hours . Started the smoke after an hour dry time .
Stepped up to 140 for 30 minutes , then steps to 160 'til 150 internal temp
is reached .
I pulled the smoked sausage and finished on the stove in 180 degree water .
20220119_131023.jpg
Side by side . MES on the left , SmokeFire on the right .
The pellet did a good job . I think .
20220119_133154.jpg
Cut pic . You can see the black pepper .
20220119_133414.jpg
Check on the chubs . Taking on some nice color .
20220119_131120.jpg
Took right at 7 hours to hit 152 internal .
Pulled and ice bath to 90 degrees . Then I hung them at room temp
for 4 or 5 hours .
20220119_164627.jpg
You can see the ends that were close to the heat source .
The smaller one was over the element . Don't normally do that .
20220119_164642.jpg
Cooled down and into the fridge over night .
Sliced up the next day .
20220120_070859.jpg 20220120_070906.jpg
20220120_070918.jpg
This was fantastic . The smell is over the top .
Just has a smokey cured smell to it . Fantastic color and texture .
The extended cure time really adds to the flavor and over all quality .
Pre curing the cubes is worth it in my opinion and I'll be doing it again .
Just need to plan for that and do it separate from fresh .
At this point I'm on day 7 for the slice . Worth every minute now . At the time I was done .
Had some of the smoked sausage too . It's the same . Fantastic smell , taste and texture .
That's it , finally .

Last edited:
Now that's MY kind of sausage fest. All looks incredible Rich! Kinda funny, brewing was very much the same. Big old PITA but once the beers started flowing it was sooo worth it.

Man, you’ve been busy… that all looks phenomenal! Nice job!
Thanks for the comment . It turned into work . Normally I breeze thru it . The outcome was worth it though .

You've been a busy fellow for sure. The sausages look amazing!
Thanks Steve . Put one butt in the freezer . Glad I did .
That Italian mix is really good . The Sweet Italian from sausage maker I didn't care for . This one is Herb and cheese . The romano and white wine make it .

Nice, Rich! I had to re-read it a couple of times to keep track LOL!
That Polish and Andouille combo sounds interesting. Where would I find it on Meats and Sausages? I have a butt in the freezer and could use a cold weather/stuck in the house kind of project :emoji_wink:
I never thought about pre - curing meat.....

Reactions: chopsaw
beers started flowing
Now ya did it .

All looks incredible Rich! Kinda funny, brewing was very much the same. Big old PITA
Well we talked during this . I normally do it with no effort . Do one step , and clean everything before going to the next step . If I do just the cured stuff , be no problem . Everything was a double step with waiting for the cure to finish .
Thanks for the comment .

Reactions: zwiller
That's some hard business you got going on there!
Thanks Norm .
That seems like a lot of work, but the end results look great!
Normally not to bad . I have a good set up for doing it , and everything in arms reach . Plenty of fridge space . Just didn't want to flow this time .
Yup results were great . Thanks for looking .

Nice, Rich! I had to re-read it a couple of times to keep track LOL!
That Polish and Andouille combo sounds interesting.
No doubt . I had to keep regrouping myself . One thing that helps me though , are the colored bowls . I have a dry erase board in my kitchen . I write on the board with the same color marker as the bowl . " 5lbs. Italian " in green , if it's in the green bowl .
I used the 2 formula's for the website . Hot smoked polish and Andouille . I already had the salt and cure mixed in . Kind of a kielbasa with a heavy dose of black pepper and garlic .

Rich that all looks amazing! Lot of hard work but looks like fun. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake . I did that pastrami we talked about in the beginning too .
Got to much going at once . Was nice to have the smokefire to take up the slack of a full MES .

Reactions: TNJAKE
No doubt . I had to keep regrouping myself . One thing that helps me though , are the colored bowls . I have a dry erase board in my kitchen . I write on the board with the same color marker as the bowl . " 5lbs. Italian " in green , if it's in the green bowl .
I used the 2 formula's for the website . Hot smoked polish and Andouille . I already had the salt and cure mixed in . Kind of a kielbasa with a heavy dose of black pepper and garlic .

Thanks Jake . I did that pastrami we talked about in the beginning too .
Got to much going at once . Was nice to have the smokefire to take up the slack of a full MES .
Did I miss the pastrami pics? Lol

Nice run of sausages. I had planned to make some Calabrian Italian this weekend as the grocer had pork butt on sale for $1.19/# but they were out when I stopped by. Next time I'll have to go earlier...first or second day of the sale...

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky