sausage recipe help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wishbonz

Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
hi, any pros know how to look at a recipe . and see if there is too much,
or not enough spice, or what to add to make it better.

thanks

What type of sausage is it? Smoke sausages usually use a little more salt than fresh sausages.

The easiest way to change a recipe is to convert everything to grams. Then you figure out the percentage ratios of spices to meat. Now you can adjust up or down and dial it in.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What type of sausage is it? Smoke sausages usually use a little more salt than fresh sausages.

The easiest way to change a recipe is to convert everything to grams. Then you figure out the percentage ratios of spices to meat. Now you can adjust up or down and dial it in.
Best advice you have had all day.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Go ahead and post recipe, much easier to help, otherwise we are pretty blind

Ryan
Chili mac – hot dog sauce

1 teaspoon each of the following

Onion powder

Garlic powder

Cumin powder

Salt

Sugar

Oregano

1 tablespoon paprika

3 tablespoons tones chili powder . start with way less if you have a different brand you can always add more.

1 pound fresh hamburger

12 oz water

Put everything in a pan .stir like crazy to desolve.stir frequently until hamburger turns brown .then it wont reclump.

Simer for about 45 minutes or until ½-3/4 of the water is gone. You can start taste testing when its ¾ done. You want the flavor pretty strong plain so it will taste good on the noodles or hot dogs

You can add more chili powder or cayenne to taste

this is a chili mac sauce want to turn it into a sausage and mix it into hot dogs like you would cheese

makes really good chili mac

This is a sausage recipe? 12oz water for 1 pound meat?
Looks like for chili

GL with it.

I'm assuming you want this as a fresh sausage recipe. This is what I came up with:
1# ground beef is 454g. 1 kg. is 2.2# so for 1kg. meat, multiply the seasoning amounts by 2.2 (except the water).

Also, Sausage needs min. 20% fat. I would use pork fat. Couple of ways you can go...70% ground lean beef and 30% pork back fat or say 40% beef, 30% lean pork, 30% fat.

Now, the salt....I recommend 1.25% for a fresh sausage. so for 1000g that is 12.5g salt. weigh this out.

For 1000g meat:

2.2 tsp. Onion powder

2.2 tsp. Garlic powder

2.2 tsp. Cumin powder

12.5g Salt

2.2 tsp. Sugar

2.2 tsp. Oregano

2.2 tablespoon paprika

6.6 tablespoons tones chili powder . start with way less if you have a different brand you can always add more.

3% water or less.....so 30mL...about 2 TBSPs.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'm assuming you want this as a fresh sausage recipe. This is what I came up with:
1# ground beef is 454g. 1 kg. is 2.2# so for 1kg. meat, multiply the seasoning amounts by 2.2 (except the water).

Also, Sausage needs min. 20% fat. I would use pork fat. Couple of ways you can go...70% ground lean beef and 30% pork back fat or say 40% beef, 30% lean pork, 30% fat.

Now, the salt....I recommend 1.25% for a fresh sausage. so for 1000g that is 12.5g salt. weigh this out.

For 1000g meat:

2.2 tsp. Onion powder

2.2 tsp. Garlic powder

2.2 tsp. Cumin powder

12.5g Salt

2.2 tsp. Sugar

2.2 tsp. Oregano

2.2 tablespoon paprika

6.6 tablespoons tones chili powder . start with way less if you have a different brand you can always add more.

3% water or less.....so 30mL...about 2 TBSPs.
thank you indaswamp

Indaswamp
the original recipe makes a good chili mac or hot dog sauce. could use a little more heat.
if you try it. add all the ingredients to cold pan stir to de solve meat stir occasionally till meat is set.this is what gives you the fine texture.simmer mixture until reduce and flavor is strong.

my plan is to make this into sausage . freeze it. crumble it add it to hot dog emulsification and make chili hot dogs. and i understand i need cure
Indaswamp
thank you very much for your help

Cant help with the sausage quest but Hot Dog Chili I got...Growing up in NJ, Texas Weiners/ Chili Dogs, were everywhere. From shops that specialized, to Diners and Lunch Trucks. Texas Weiners are similar to Coney Dogs in NY, and Hot Weiners in parts of PA. This recipes took awhile to reverse engineer from one of the most Famous Shops in Central NJ. It should give you some ideas on spice possibilities...JJ

Coney Sauce/Texas Weiner Chili

1C Chopped Onion
1/2C Chopped Green Pepper
2ea Cloves Garlic
2T EVOO
3C Water
2Lb Grnd Beef
1/2C Ketchup
2T Tomato Paste
6T Chili Powder
4T Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce
2tsp Allspice
1tsp Salt
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Cumin
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Oregano
1/2tsp Thyme
Cayenne Pepper to Taste

Puree the Onion, Pepper and Garlic until very fine. Saute the Veg in EVOO until it starts to get golden. Add the water to deglaze the pan. Add the remaining ingredients stirring well to break up the meat into fine pieces and combine ingredients. Bring Sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to desired thickness. Stir frequently.
NOTE: New Jersey Law carries a Fine of $1000 and 6 Months in Jail for, Removing the Fat from any Texas Weiner Sauce! :emoji_cop:

Cant help with the sausage quest but Hot Dog Chili I got...Growing up in NJ, Texas Weiners/ Chili Dogs, were everywhere. From shops that specialized, to Diners and Lunch Trucks. Texas Weiners are similar to Coney Dogs in NY, and Hot Weiners in parts of PA. This recipes took awhile to reverse engineer from one of the most Famous Shops in Central NJ. It should give you some ideas on spice possibilities...JJ

Coney Sauce/Texas Weiner Chili

1C Chopped Onion
1/2C Chopped Green Pepper
2ea Cloves Garlic
2T EVOO
3C Water
2Lb Grnd Beef
1/2C Ketchup
2T Tomato Paste
6T Chili Powder
4T Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce
2tsp Allspice
1tsp Salt
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Cumin
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Oregano
1/2tsp Thyme
Cayenne Pepper to Taste

Puree the Onion, Pepper and Garlic until very fine. Saute the Veg in EVOO until it starts to get golden. Add the water to deglaze the pan. Add the remaining ingredients stirring well to break up the meat into fine pieces and combine ingredients. Bring Sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to desired thickness. Stir frequently.
NOTE: New Jersey Law carries a Fine of $1000 and 6 Months in Jail for, Removing the Fat from any Texas Weiner Sauce! :emoji_cop:
will try
Thank you Sir

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky