Sausage meat grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wurkenman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Looking at possibly getting a grinder. Thinking about the Lem #8 or the STX Turboforce 4000. Anyone have any news on either. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with my first slicer and get a cheap POS. I will probably get a separate sausage stuffer. 

Thanks

Terry

I have a lem #8 works very well it's 850 watts I have ground over 100# in one setting no problem handing the constant use and have probably ground 2000# of meat in last year with it great unit for the money !

I don't at this time plan on any real large batches. Still learning, but want a grinder that is NOT gonna create more work than it's worth. Thanks for the reply.

If you have a Kichenaid mixer, the grinding attachment works very well. I use one all the time for our sausage and hamburger meat. As I recall, it is about 50 bucks.

I do not have a Kitchenaid. I am looking to do some breakfast sausage and brats. I like Johnsonville, but in the last few years I can't find buns small enough to use after they shrink down to nothing. Very disappointing from one of the major suppliers in the US.

I have a LEM #8 575 watt, and it works well.  I have used to grind up deer meat (60-80 lbs at a time), and also to make sausage in batches up to around 30 lb batches.  This thing will take anything I put it through.  

I believe the post above regarding the LEM #8 is probably the #8 big bite grinder, which has a larger throat to it, which makes it easier for grinding for a 2nd grind.  I believe you can get the 575 watt for around $120 new, and the Big Bite is around $280 or so.  

If you are just planning on doing small batches, 20 lbs or less, and don't plan to use it all the time, the #8 575 watt should be plenty, however the Big Bite seems like it would have some added convenience if you had the extra cash to spend.   

I do not have a Kitchenaid. I am looking to do some breakfast sausage and brats. I like Johnsonville, but in the last few years I can't find buns small enough to use after they shrink down to nothing. Very disappointing from one of the major suppliers in the US.
IMHO Dont waste your time with the KA grinder because the blade is aluminum and garbage. (There are after mkt grinder necks) and a PITA to stuff with. Now the KA is a very good meat mixer. 

Do yourself a favor and get the LEM.

I was leaning toward the Lem, but found the STX and was wondering about the differences.

I bought the LEM #5 last year and have really enjoyed using it. It is much faster than my KitchenAid and the parts are all metal.

I was leaning toward the Lem, but found the STX and was wondering about the differences.
I'll never buy a piece of LEM equipment again. Terrible customer service and in my book that means everything. If you want to read the back story there is a link in my signature.

I have had my STX grinder for two years now and I really like it. We grind all of our own meat and have run around 400# pounds through it so far. No issues to report.

Any disadvantages to this one? I have a couple electric motors and a foot switch. 

They work great. You just have to watch your fingers around the throat and the belt.  Both of which can be addressed. Somewhere here there is a great thread on one that is motorized.

The short throat makes it easy to suck fingers in. There are ways to modify that. Also using long strips rather than chunks helps keep fingers out. Running a second grind is harder too with the shorter throat and no tray.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky