Sausage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Want to get into making sausage. Need a little advice on everything I'll need to get started. I was looking at this and was wondering if this would be alright to get started, or would you recommend something else?
Also where do you buy your casings?

Want to get into making sausage. Need a little advice on everything I'll need to get started. I was looking at this and was wondering if this would be alright to get started, or would you recommend something else?
Also where do you buy your casings?
That would work I recommend a dedicated stuffer,even a jerky cannon will stuff better then the grinder.
http://www.makincasing.com/
http://www.butcher-packer.com/
Their are others
Richie
Good Luck

Reactions: smokininidaho
That depends on how much sausage you plan to make. 5 pound batches you should be fine. Larger batches will overheat the small 250W motor requiring long cool down times between batches. The seller says in has Metal Gears, which is a good sign. The next step up is grinders in the 500W range like the Kitchener #12, currently, $129 on Amazon but will typically be $89-$99 during Black Friday and Dec Christmas Sales. Several members, including myself, get great results with this unit...JJ

That whole listing is very misleading. 1800 max locked load? Locked rotor is far different then normal run. 250 watts run is barely 1/3 hp. Get something that has at least 3/4 hp normal run duty.

Well it looks like it's going to take a lot more than $100 if I want decent equipment to do the job right. May have to wait for black friday or cyber monday before I start this venture. Will also give me time to save up a few more bucks.

Discovered this as I have a Kitchen Aid mixer.

As a Grinder this is Marginal at best, for a few pounds of meat. The $53 unit is a better choice. As a Stuffer? It's HORRIBLE! This Grinder attachment is a great way to Trash your Kitchen Aid's gear box, unless your KA is one of the Pro Models with the Bowl Lift mechanism...JJ

Well it looks like it's going to take a lot more than $100 if I want decent equipment to do the job right. May have to wait for black friday or cyber monday before I start this venture. Will also give me time to save up a few more bucks.

On average with Holiday Sales, you can get the Kitchener #12 and a Huntrite , metal gear, 5Lb Stuffer for around $200...JJ

You can get by with a grinder and make ground sausage, or summer sausage by stuffing larger diameter fibrous casings by hand.

Good luck

If you want I can send you my old vertical stuffer. Works good. Just the design makes waste unless you put a slice of bread or two in it to get the rest of the meat out. Stainless unit with plastic tubes. Good starter job.
Thanks Steve, sent pm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky