Sausage Making Questions/Advice Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bear55

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
South Mississippi
I am new to this forum and to smoking in general.  It has not taken me long to figure out what I have been missing.  I would like to make my own sausage, both breakfast as well as summer.  I do not have the equipment necessary to do this and was hoping for some advice on meat grinders/stuffer etc.  I will also try my hand at bacon and would appreciate any advice on meat slicers.  I currently own a Bradley smoker and just purchased a few additions from A-MAZE-N products to accompany the Brdley.

Thanks for the help.

Bear

I have a 7lb Weston all steel construction stuffer.  It works great!  I have done a few batches so far without problem.  Just need to bolt or clamp it down though.

You can spend a lot or a little.

As Martin mentioned, more info on what you plan to do and in what size batches will go a long way in determining the type of equipment you need and how much you will need to spend.

Good luck and good smoking.

I have the Cabela's commercial #12 and found that I am waiting on my helpers when grinding.  This is a great grinder and I would recommend the foot switch with it.  I have also stuffed sausage with this unit and had no problems at all.  Overall I think it is a great product.

John

Over a year go, I started out with a kitchen aid meat grinder and sausage horn and it was a good way to start for cheap beings that I owned the mixer. But, it would take me about 6 hours to do 10 pounds of 2-3 different styles of sausage. Last Xmas I got better equipment. I went L.E.M all the way. I purchase the 25# non tilt meat mixer, 10# SS sausage stuffer and the no.12 meat grinder with the big bite auger. What a difference on the end result. I always thought my sausage was good, but moving up to better equipment made a huge impact. The meat mixer connect to the grinder and does a great job of mixing while I go to the next step of prep work. I make about 26 pounds of sausage in 6 hours, including clean up. I have about 1300$ invest in those three items. The kitchen aid is great to test the waters if you already have the mixer, but if you want what works good and have the money, spend what it takes to get what is needed, and you wont be sorry. Spend some time researching and ask yourself what you want to end up with and how long you want to do it for. The equipment that cost a lot will make things easy and your food taste better as I have discovered. Spend some time on this forum and see what others have to say. This is the best BBQ resource I have found anywhere.

I have the Cabela's commercial #12 and found that I am waiting on my helpers when grinding.  This is a great grinder and I would recommend the foot switch with it.  I have also stuffed sausage with this unit and had no problems at all.  Overall I think it is a great product.

John
I have the Cabela's 1HP Commercial grinder and that thing could probably grind a dinosaur in 20min. But, I've probably watched too many episodes of Tool Time (it's more than what I need). Well made, solid grinder and highly recommend it. I also have their 20lb stuffer... if I'm not playing Smokin Claus, most of the time I fill it once.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky