Sausage And Orzo Stuffed Peppers: WOW!! (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This is another one that kinda bounced around in my deviant mind for a couple days before I decided to pull the trigger and just do it. The concept seemed viable so I thought it'd at least be good and if it came out as hoped, it'd be really good.

Started with a couple huge yellow bell peppers. Cored, seeds and veins removed
001.jpg

Cook the orzo. Mix it with sausage, softened cream cheese, a little oregano, a pinch of thyme, kosher salt, and black pepper
002.jpg

Stuff it into the peppers
003.jpg

Press down firmly and top with a nice shot of fresh shredded mozz and a sprinkle of parsley
004.jpg

Onto the grill. Had to prop the lid open a bit to keep the temp down to 350. Didn't want these cooking fast.
005.jpg

Got some garlic toast ready to go on the grill
006.jpg

After about 20 minutes the IT is at 138 so move the peppers off to the side away from the heat and put the garlic toast on
007.jpg

008.jpg

Peppers done
009.jpg

Very simple plate but it covered all the bases
010.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat
011.jpg

Close up. Lots of nice ooey, gooey cheese just as I'd hoped
012.jpg

These were fantastic!! Could have used a tad more salt and a shot of crushed red pepper would have added a nice touch. Overall though, the flavor of the filling was outstanding. Peppers were perfectly cooked. Hot, slightly softened, but still had some crunch and texture to them. I gotta say, with all the amazing Greek stuff that John ( BandCollector BandCollector ) posted a while back and I embraced, the highlight of all that for me is discovering the orzo. That stuff is fantastic and so versatile. There are just tons of things you can do with it and I've done quite a lot of experimenting....kinda like this one :emoji_wink: Another freaky meal that is now part of the regular rotation. Tracy has already tossed up some ideas for variations of this. For now though, I'm really happy with this experiment.

Gotta run. Take care and keep those amazing meals coming. There have been a ton recently and it's been great seeing all of them.

Robert

Looks delicious Robert! Bet they really did hit the spot! And so many variations to go with.

Ryan

Those look great! I could see some variations as well. Love he orzo over pasta option.

Robert those look awesome! I would enjoy the quite a bit! Nice work!

Looks great Robert, I love stuffed and smoked peppers of any kind. Well done!
Thanks Cliff. For some reason as a kid I never really liked them. Mom used some weird ingredients though. As an adult (well, sort of) I've come to love veggies and love the concept of stuffed peppers.
Wow looks great Robert and I also would have been stuffed :emoji_laughing:! Great plate !
We were both stuffed :emoji_laughing: Those things were huge and probably weighed close to a pound each.
Looks delicious Robert! Bet they really did hit the spot! And so many variations to go with.
Thanks so much Ryan,and yep, the variations are endless. So many different ways these could be made, and I'm thinking about a few. I wonder how one stuffed with beef, shredded taters, cheddar cheese, and smothered with gravy would work out :emoji_wink:

Robert

Damn Robert those look excellent man! I bet a fajita stuffed pepper would be good as another variation.
Thanks John!! One of the first that crossed my mind was taco meat and onions. Yours sounds like a great idea too and these things are so easy to make.
That's one fine hunk of work Robert, I love stuffed peppers!
Very much appreciate it my friend. I'd imagine a few Italian or Sicilian versions could be in my future :emoji_wink:
Very nice Robert, nothing like a good stuffed pepper to perk up your day.

say that 10 times after a big glass of Ouzo
Thanks so much David for the kind words but sorry, not a fan of Ouzo. Tried it once and that was two times too many :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Those look great! I could see some variations as well. Love he orzo over pasta option.
Thank you Dave. So many different variations of these would be outstanding.
Robert those look awesome! I would enjoy the quite a bit! Nice work!
Thanks so much. The fun thing about these, apart from them being so fast and easy to make, is that you could easily do a few different variations in one meal to mix things up. Only be worth it if you had a few guests though.
EXCELLENT MY FRIEND!!

That one just made the list.....soon as I have some fresh peppers from the garden!
Thanks Keith. With all the amazing seafood and game meat you have, I could easily see some really amazing creations coming from you.

Robert

TXS, Great idea, your peppers look delicious!
Thank you. Was just a different version of an old standby that happened to come out really well.
Those look great Robert! Like!
Thanks Steve. With your creativity I bet you could do some really interesting versions of these.
Those really look good Robert
Thank you Jim. I liked the presentation of the yellow peppers and thought it played out well. The meal was just fantastic.

Robert

The taco flavored ones are really good! Did that with some pablano and anaheim peppers not long ago and ....oh my!

Ryan

The taco flavored ones are really good! Did that with some pablano and anaheim peppers not long ago and ....oh my!
That does sound good!! Not sure where I can get Anaheim peppers here but I know they have to be available with the huge Mexican population we have. Poblanos are readily available though.

Robert

Robert, we love stuffed peppers and we love orzo, but we've always used rice in our peppers. Now I'm on a different path, thank you...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky