Saucing Ribs on an ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlink219

Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Saint Peters, Missouri
I've been smoking on an ECB for a few weeks now and have my baby back method down pretty good. 2-2-1, sauce them up in the last half hour. This weekend I will be having some friends over this weekend and I won't have enough room in my smoker for all the corn plus ribs unless I put the ribs on a rib rack. My question is what is the best way to sauce the ribs without all the sauce falling off? Thanks.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm probably gonna just serve sauce on the side and let the guests choose if they want sauce or not. Not to mention that I do want to try the ribs with just the rub to see what it tastes like. I might just throw one slab on the grill, I'll see how I feel in the next six or seven hours or so. Again, thanks for the help everyone.

I agree with saucing at the table. Some of your guests may surprise you by enjoying the ribs without sauce.

As for the corn... My solution would be to have another grill on hand on which to cook the corn. Do you really want to do the corn at the same temperature as the ribs? Or finish the ribs at the temperature that's best for the corn? Of course I have too many grills. ;) But I think a Weber kettle or perhaps a gas grill would be ideal for cooking sides while you do the main course on the ECB.

@bomftdrum: I converted my ECB to electric and cover it with a flame retardant blanket like thing when I need to in order to keep the heat up. I plan on upgrading and have decided not to put too much other work into the ECB. 

@WalterWhite: There is no such thing as having too many grills. The next time I try cooking any amount of food that is more than what will feed my family, I will utilize the grill as well. It didn't help that I had to use that almost useless rack in the middle to accommodate all the food. Yet another excuse to upgrade to something larger.

@Everyone Else: My habit and just plain OCD kicked in and was able to lay the slabs flat toward the end of smoking and sauce them up at the end like I usually do. The biggest regret is that I was using a new homemade rub that I got somewhere else on this forum that I tasted awesome even through the sauce and wish I didn't have the sauce masking it. Next time, no sauce. Really. I mean it this time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky