Sauces, rubs and keto/low carb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
First, I have some experience with keto or low carb diets. In 2021 I lost 30 pounds on this diet and am back on it now. I've lost 20 pounds since Christmas Day.

I posted here last month looking for a low sugar ham glaze. Instead, I gave up and used Kosmos Cherry Apple Habanero rib glaze that has 25 g of carbs per 2 TBS . We've been eating on the ham for the past 3 weeks and both me and my wife continue to lose weight. Has no noticeable effect.

I also smoked some whole spare ribs. I seasoned with S/P but sauced with Franklin original , 8 g of carbs per 2 TBS. I also used the sauce when I ate those ribs while my wife was gone on a quilting retreat and I lost 2 pounds that week. The carbs in the sauce had no noticeable effect.

Two years ago, I used rubs with sugar and we came to the conclusion that there's not enough carbs from the sugar to impact our diet.

So the conclusion from my wife and I is not to worry about carbs in rubs/sauces/glazes. We don't see a need for sugar free. But that's just us. And there's other factors, like we've been skipping breakfast trying intermittent fasting. Past two weeks I've also gotten back on my bicycle.

First, I have some experience with keto or low carb diets. In 2021 I lost 30 pounds on this diet and am back on it now. I've lost 20 pounds since Christmas Day.

I posted here last month looking for a low sugar ham glaze. Instead, I gave up and used Kosmos Cherry Apple Habanero rib glaze that has 25 g of carbs per 2 TBS . We've been eating on the ham for the past 3 weeks and both me and my wife continue to lose weight. Has no noticeable effect.

I also smoked some whole spare ribs. I seasoned with S/P but sauced with Franklin original , 8 g of carbs per 2 TBS. I also used the sauce when I ate those ribs while my wife was gone on a quilting retreat and I lost 2 pounds that week. The carbs in the sauce had no noticeable effect.

Two years ago, I used rubs with sugar and we came to the conclusion that there's not enough carbs from the sugar to impact our diet.

So the conclusion from my wife and I is not to worry about carbs in rubs/sauces/glazes. We don't see a need for sugar free. But that's just us. And there's other factors, like we've been skipping breakfast trying intermittent fasting. Past two weeks I've also gotten back on my bicycle.
I like some of the SF bbq sauce until they are heated like on ribs. Then the aspartame taste comes out so now resort to reg, sauce for the caramelizing stage if a cook.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky