Saturday MES Smoke! Pork Loin, Italian Sausage, & Salmon (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maria1175

Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
Happy Valley (Central PA)
We haven't used our smoker (MES) in forever, so I went to Sam's Club today to buy some MEAT!

Here's what's currently cookin:

Pork Loin

I used Meowey's rub with a few slight modifications.

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

I cut my giant pork loin in half, smeared it with yellow mustard, sprinkled on the rub, and let it sit out on the counter while I finished the salmon.

Sweet Italian Sausage

I had this pork sausage in the freezer -- just let it thaw out for about a day and a half in the fridge.  Arranged in a spiral with some room to breathe.  Since I had some room on the tray, I also threw in some kosher salt to smoke!

Salmon

For the dry salmon brine, I mixed:

2 cups kosher salt

2 cups white sugar

1 Tbsp ground cloves

1 Tbsp ground pepper

I cut my salmon into portions, rinsed them off, dried them with paper towels, and put them back on their styrofoam trays -- 1/2 cup dry brine mix on the bottom, 1/2 cup dry brine mix sprinkled on top.  I let them sit on the counter for 30 min, flipped them over, and let them sit for 30 min longer.

Then I rinsed them, patted dry with paper towels, let them sit out for about 45 min, and into the smoker!

This is my first time smoking salmon and I'm super excited to see how it turns out!

I'll some pics and updates later once everything is done!

Last edited:
After 1.5 hours, the salmon was at 145 degrees so I took it out.  It's DELICIOUS :)

I bumped up the temp from 220 to 250 to finish the sausage and pork loin.  They are both looking pretty wet, and the sausage isn't getting very red/pink from smoke.  Any suggestions?

I just checked the temps of the pork loin -- after 2 hours, it's at 140 degrees internal.  I'm going to let it go for another 30 min then check it again!

Everything looks great.

Personally I would have pulled the loin at 138-140.

The carryover cooking while resting it would take it up to 145.

They start to dry out after that.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky