Saturday Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsbdsb

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Rohnert Park, Ca
Hello Everyone,

I plan on smoking brisket this Saturday. I have a packer, just under 10#, an plan on using the rub recipe posted by Waucedah. I have the 30" Masterbuilt electric smoker, not the one with the glass door, and plan on serving the brisket around 5:00-5:30 after resting for about 1.5 hours. So I plan on starting the smoker about 0300 and setting for 225.  I will not be opening the smoker to mop the brisket, i will be filling the water pan with apple juice. I was thinking of setting the internal thermometer at about 180, then pulling the brisket and wrapping with foil until it gets to about 185, then pulling it. At that point i think i'll seperate the flat and point.  

I also have a rack of st louis style ribs i am throwing in. this will be the only time i plan on opening the smoker….. any thoughts as to how far out i should put in the ribs. Ideally when i pull the brisket to rest, i would like to serve the ribs also (or close to that time). 

I plan on using a mixture of apple wood and hickory chips. 

this isn't the first brisket i have done, but by no means am i a pro. So looking for any thoughts or advise.

thasnks for your time,

Dan

I'd be very careful making sure that the brisket doesn't drip onto the ribs, or vice versa.  Not a health concern, but rather, that of cross flavoring, (ribs tasting like brisket or brisket tasting like the ribs.)

As for the timing on the ribs, are you going to be foiling them at all ?  Or just straight smoking ?

I was planning on foiling at 180, the pulling it out at 187 to rest for an 1-2 hours while the burnt ends go back in for about an hour

Maybe I'll start the ribs in the smoker and finish in the oven, they are more of an appitizer for the kids coming anyway.  

do you thing 225 is good for the brisket? It will be about 38-45 degrees when i start in the a.m.  I'll let the smoker run at temp for about 40 minutes before i put in the brisket

Brisket has been in just over 6 hours now and smells delicious. Currently my thermometer is reading 175 degrees. 6.5 hours left to go according to 1.5ish hours per pound. Wondering if it will be done too early?

Dan

I would throw the one and a half hours per pound out he window if it hits 200 and you can put a toothpick or thermometer in and it feels like butter your done. My 15lb briskets are usually done in 10 hours

I had a brisket finish earlier than planned a few weeks ago, so I left it wrapped and packed in the cooler for 4 hours or so. It was perfect when I pulled it out too slice it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Every piece of meat cooks differently. You may stall out somewhere too. I also don't rely much on times per pound and use the toothpick method.

Looks like it might be holding here, i'll keep checking it though. When you use the toothpick method, where are you probing the brisket? I assume you are going through the flat and not the point due to the fat. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky