Santa was a little early this year!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mooncusser

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2019
near a man-made island
Santa was a little early this year, and brought me a new toy to play with! Still wondering how he got the RT-700 down the chimney...

IMG_20191223_155841.jpg

Delivery was actually last week but I didn't get a chance to assemble until yesterday. Only had time for the burn-in and a quick cook, but I'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to a cook on Boxing Day.

I've read a bunch of comments from other owners on here. Any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for?

Very nice! See what happens when you are a good boy! I think I'm getting a lump of Coal for Christmas. I've been Naughty a couple of times...JJ

Congratulations on the new toy. Use it well

Chris

Oh boy....you're in trouble now!! I have a patio full of cookers but my RT 700 gets used more than any now, and I've only had it a couple months. One thing to note: the temp at the grate is going to be about 10% lower than the set point. I ran this gamut with Rec Tec and they are just two different types of thermometers. The nice thing is that the differential is consistent so it's easy to adjust for. You may wanna check grate temp to set point temp as your mileage may vary.

Robert

Congratulations!! I got the same one as you for Christmas. I've had mine since last Thursday and only had time to do a burn in which I did Monday. I just plugged it in and fired it up to do a second burn in because I'm not 100% pleased with the smell on the inside of it from the first burn in. Probably not needed but I'm doing it anyway. Gonna let burn at 400 for about a half hour then turn it down to about 350 or so an chunk a pound of bacon on it.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm planning on enjoying mine. Merry Christmas.

oh buy! I have the RT700 as well. the RT700 is a rockstar.

what to watch out for? if you are married you may get the "you smoke to much meat and I burned out" from the wife... Several of us have. Bahahahah

if you live somewhere hot, you may want to read this.

Oh boy....you're in trouble now!! I have a patio full of cookers but my RT 700 gets used more than any now, and I've only had it a couple months. One thing to note: the temp at the grate is going to be about 10% lower than the set point. I ran this gamut with Rec Tec and they are just two different types of thermometers. The nice thing is that the differential is consistent so it's easy to adjust for. You may wanna check grate temp to set point temp as your mileage may vary.

Robert
Thank you, I hadn't heard about that. I can check it out with my remote thermometer to compare. Good advice!

Congratulations!! I got the same one as you for Christmas. I've had mine since last Thursday and only had time to do a burn in which I did Monday. I just plugged it in and fired it up to do a second burn in because I'm not 100% pleased with the smell on the inside of it from the first burn in. Probably not needed but I'm doing it anyway. Gonna let burn at 400 for about a half hour then turn it down to about 350 or so an chunk a pound of bacon on it.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm planning on enjoying mine. Merry Christmas.
Thanks! My first quick cook was also bacon. Easy for checking hot spots - and you get bacon!

oh buy! I have the RT700 as well. the RT700 is a rockstar.

what to watch out for? if you are married you may get the "you smoke to much meat and I burned out" from the wife... Several of us have. Bahahahah

if you live somewhere hot, you may want to read this.
Thank you. Luckily the missus likes smoked meat and encouraged moving up in size from the MES.

We're in Massachusetts, so it isn't hot now, but can get up there in summer. I'll check out that thread. Thumbs up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky