Sam's Vs Costco meat question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I currently do not belong to any club store, but the nearest Costco is a 35 min drive from me and the closest Sam's is just 10 mins up the road.
My only real interest in joining a club would be to have access to meats that are impossible to find at the local Kroger. I am wanting to get into lamb, big beef ribs, and pork belly. Kroger never has these things, but it appears Sam's does. Harder to tell if Costco carries this stuff from a search. Any opinions on either one, and is a club membership worth it just to be able to have access to these kinds of meats? Thanks.
I have been buying most of my meat at Sam's for many years. Always satisfied. I buy 100% of my ribs from them. I prefer spares. Was there this morning cruising the meat counter. They have everything you need. Tri-tips, ground Bison, lamb, all kinds of steak cuts, Boston Butts, spares, baby backs, pork roast, pork tenderloins and on and on and on!

I keep memberships at both.
Both are about equal distance for me.
Both have pretty good quality and selection.
Their meat selections vary a bit so it enables me to source particular meats/cuts at each.
E.g. I can get Beef Short Ribs at Sam's and Pork Belly at Costco, but not vice versa

Reactions: Hqly2001
For what its worth, here’s my opinion.
Costco has better and more tender steaks. While both are choice, costco is better imho.
Costco has more seafood variety and have the fresh kind. Sams have a small selection and most are frozen variety where i’m at.
But sams sell while rack short ribs for smoking and very good lamb rack that’s not too gamey. I guess it depends on location but i’d imagine similar quality and brand for all sams.

Costco here is the only choice about a 15 minute drive to the biggest one in the US. the beef walkin cooler is mind blowing! it about the only place around here i can get dino ribs pretty consistently (holidays excluded).

I have been buying most of my meat at Sam's for many years. Always satisfied. I buy 100% of my ribs from them. I prefer spares. Was there this morning cruising the meat counter. They have everything you need. Tri-tips, ground Bison, lamb, all kinds of steak cuts, Boston Butts, spares, baby backs, pork roast, pork tenderloins and on and on and on!

I notice that the stores in different areas do not carry the same products nor do they have the same sale items.

Warren

Reactions: sandyut
I notice that the stores in different areas do not carry the same products nor do they have the same sale items.
this is very true. many comments have been made on this in various threads. seems kinda baffling...but this is the US and we do odd s**t here sometimes.

As far as the meat departments are concerned it isn't even close. Costco has a better selection and MUCH higher quality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky