Sams Club Brisket part 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big_rob

Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Cooper City, Florida
Well, I smoked another Sams Club brisket this Monday and it turned out AWESOME!

Sorry, no Qview as I was too lazy to take pictures.
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

When I got the brisket I did however notice that some of the briskets were USDA choice and some weren't. Ive always been under the assumption that USDA choice was the way to go when buying any cut of meat. The brisket I smoked 2 weeks ago wasnt USDA choice.

So anyhow, I picked out the smallest cut that was USDA choice which was 7.93 lbs.

I started the prep Sunday night. I started first by salting and peppering the meat, for the salt I used smoked sea salt. For the pepper I used regular ole fresh ground peppercorn.

After that I slathered the brisket with honey Dijon mustard and applied my rub which consisted of smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, ground cumin. After rubbing all that in I separately rubbed in a fair amount of dark brown sugar and stuck it in the fridge to sit overnight.

Monday morning came early as I woke up at 7 am to get everything set up.

I let the brisket sit in room temp for about an hour and a half before sticking it in the smoker at 8:30 am and started the whole low and slow process. I applied hickory smoke for about 3 hours. I was expecting to have to cook it for 10 hours to get an internal temp of 200F but it only took 9.5 hours to get to 203f across the whole brisket.

I was very pleased with the outcome. And that outcome was.....

10 people telling me "Oh Rob, this brisket tastes great!!!"

It was 10 times more tender than the last one I made about 2 weeks ago and was falling apart when I tried to slice it. The only thing I did different was that this time I made sure the temp was over 200.

Thanks to all that told me that I wasn't cooking it long enough. What a difference there is with a brisket cooked to 160-170 and one thats been cooked to 200 degrees.

Rob

Rob that brisket sound great, I'm glad the party loved it. or did they...q-view. lol

but for the choice choice, your right on.

the royal family goes:

Prime
Choice
Select
institutional
utility
cutter/ canner

i think there is one more, but I hope no one has to eat that.

The last one I smoked I took to 195 degrees. It didn't fall apart, but was tender enough to cut with a fork. Sounds like you had a great one!

Low and slow seems to be our credo, but I think we might consider adding another adjective: Low and slow and ENOUGH!

Glad your second attempt turned out great. I had the same experience. My first one I took to about 170 and it was o.k. right off the smoker. But as it set and the next day it was tough and chewy. Next time, after studying the posts on SMF, I found that I didnt take the temp high enough and I didnt foil. My second one was great and sounds a lot like yours. I just smoked another one this past weekend ( no qview either-- lazy) and it turned out great also. It seemed to keeping stalling about every 10 degrees and took forever but it was worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky