Salt ratio for Fresh Sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, as daveomack suggested to try Google I did and found one teaspoon of table salt weighs 0.20 ounces in my language and a teaspoon of kosher is 0.21 so practically negligible for my purposes .

There is no way Kosher is Heavier, even a small amount, than Table Salt. Tiny Table Salt Grains pack more densely in a spoon than the large, light Flakes of Kosher Salt. As part of my Food Science ciriculum, I had my students prove this out. I'm afraid your source is mistaken...JJ

OK , thanks for all the responses .It has been an interesting discussion . As for my particular use of salt I am talking about 3 or 4 teaspoons to a 5 pound batch of sausage. I guess for anyone using cups or pounds on a commercial scale , the small weight difference would mean more .
As far as iodized salt imparting an off taste in my sausages , it never has any more than it does when sprinkling salt on food on the table or from using it for cooking anything else . (which is none) So I guess I will just carry on using iodised salt for everything which is medically better for a person than non iodised . Everyone has their own opinions but for me , salt is salt in it's form for human consumption .
This is a nice site and it is great to see that it is more active than some other this time of year. It was totally bombarded with commercials and popups before I corrected that with an add block which works fine on my PC here but can't use this site on my tablet because I have not found a suitable android add block system yet for it . . Fortunately all other sites and everything else work add free on my tablet .This is the only site that affects it negatively so when I get notice of a reply to a thread on my tablet I wait until I am on my PC to open it . .

As far as iodized salt imparting an off taste in my sausages , it never has any more than it does when sprinkling salt on food on the table or from using it for cooking anything else . (which is none) So I guess I will just carry on using iodised salt for everything which is medically better for a person than non iodised . Everyone has their own opinions but for me , salt is salt in it's form for human consumption .
You are certainly able to use whatever salt you so choose for sausage-making. The overwhelming majority of experienced sausage-makers (and chefs worldwide) will advise to NOT use iodized salt due to the purportedly 'off' flavor it contains. Blind studies have shown, however, when a variety of salts are taste-tested, the differences between salts (sea, kosher, iodized, etc) was virtually undetectable when used within prepared foods—as opposed to sprinkling on top where the differences in both flavor and texture are more pronounced.
I personally love using Kosher salt in all kitchen-related activities, so we always have a box on hand. I dont care for the taste of iodized salt on my food, so we don't keep any in stock.
Re: weighed vs volume measurements— for consistency sake, I highly recommend weighing all ingredients for sausages. As has been mentioned already, the varying amounts of salt (including CURE) and other spices can make or break a good sausage. If I'm going to the trouble and expense of making a quality product, I dont wish to compromise the content by having my measurements vary.
20 grams of brick = 20 grams of salt. A cup of brick does not equal a cup of salt.
**Please note: if you're using brick in your sausages, time to find a new recipe!

@couger78 "20 grams of brick = 20 grams of salt. A cup of brick does not equal a cup of salt.
**Please note: if you're using brick in your sausages, time to find a new recipe!"

Love that as a bi-line!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky