Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldeboone

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Mahanoy City, Pa
Would like to buy salmon for smoking. All that is available locally is marked " Farm raised Chile " Anyone have any input on that ? I tend to be a little gun-shy about food products not originating in USA. Ernie

Would like to buy salmon for smoking. All that is available locally is marked " Farm raised Chile " Anyone have any input on that ? I tend to be a little gun-shy about food products not originating in USA. Ernie
Ernie,

When it comes to eating seafood and "Buying American", you're going to have a problem since 91% of all seafood consumed in US is imported.

With salmon, around 70% of what is consumed in US is farm raised,  and 94% of that number is imported, primarily from Norway, Chile, and Canada, The so called "Wild Caught" salmon number consumed in the US gets a little sketchy since about half of this catch, primarily from Alaska, is from hatchery-reared fish released into the wild to be caught at a later date.

If you're really in the mood for some smoked salmon I suggest that you go with what's available to you since your odds of doing otherwise are pretty slim.

Ernie,

When it comes to eating seafood and "Buying American", you're going to have a problem since 91% of all seafood consumed in US is imported.

With salmon, around 70% of what is consumed in US is farm raised,  and 94% of that number is imported, primarily from Norway, Chile, and Canada, The so called "Wild Caught" salmon number consumed in the US gets a little sketchy since about half of this catch, primarily from Alaska, is from hatchery-reared fish released into the wild to be caught at a later date.

If you're really in the mood for some smoked salmon I suggest that you go with what's available to you since your odds of doing otherwise are pretty slim.
X2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky