Salmon in brine for 5 days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1 to 2% Salt is a very common amount in an Equilibrium Brine. If the Salt is 2% of the combined weight of the Water and Meat, one day or thirty days, the meat can't get saltier than 2%. If the Salmon had Spoiled over the 5 day soak, there would be no doubt about it and this thread would never have been posted.
Bottom line, we don't know how much Salt the OP used. None of us can accurately say, " it doesn't need soaking, " or " it needs to be soaked 5 hours " or " its way too salty and needs to soak overnight." There is no way to make any kind of recommendation. However, if the OP Tastes a sliver of his Salmon, he can then determine if it's fine as is, needs a little soaking or a lot of soaking.
I didn't think suggesting Taste Testing would stir up any controversy...JJ

OK---I see it now---The reason we differ is I never knew anybody used an Equilibrium Brine when Brining Salmon. Bacon yes, Salmon No. If that's really true, then I'm wrong on the original disagreement. I'm used to Brining 4 hours for thin pieces of Salmon and 6 hours for thicker pieces of Salmon, and by no means anywhere close to Equilibrium. And then all I have to do is rinse my pieces off---No soaking at all.
Xin Loi,

Bear

Fish muscle has very little connective tissue, they swim and the muscle does not have to support their weight. The muscle is no where near as dense as red meat. Equilibrium can be reached in hours rather than requiring days. Since the salt can easily penetrate between the loose muscle fibers and the higher the concentration the dispersion happens fast. The difference between Artisan Scottish Smoked Salmon and lesser Smoked Salmon is the pitmaster's knowing how much salt and how long to leave the salt in contact for the perfect concentration. The beauty of equilibrium is it is fool proof. It takes the Guess work or years of experience out of the equation. If I predetermine I want 1.75% Salt, I add the amount of salt needed by the weight of fish and water. This way, although equilibrium may be reached in hours, it doesn't get any saltier if left soaking over night or even a few days...JJ

First, thanks for all the replies. I am learning alot between different fish preperations.

Second, sorry for the confusion in my use of terms. 1/2 lb of fish I used 2cup brown sugar 1/2cup salt and the only liquid was sucked out of the salmon. covered the fish slices (4) and put it in the fridge.

I ended up soaking 2 pieces in cold water in the fridge for about 3 hours changing water 3 times.

I did not taste it because I did not know whether I could eat it raw or have to cook it. I guess I could have cooked some.

Dried under the fan while I took the kids to the movies. It was dark when I got home so I am smoking it right now. Update soon.

First, thanks for all the replies. I am learning alot between different fish preperations.

Second, sorry for the confusion in my use of terms. 1/2 lb of fish I used 2cup brown sugar 1/2cup salt and the only liquid was sucked out of the salmon. covered the fish slices (4) and put it in the fridge.

I ended up soaking 2 pieces in cold water in the fridge for about 3 hours changing water 3 times.

I did not taste it because I did not know whether I could eat it raw or have to cook it. I guess I could have cooked some.

Dried under the fan while I took the kids to the movies. It was dark when I got home so I am smoking it right now. Update soon.

I haven't done any for a long time, but everybody who tried my "Step by Step" has loved it.
Here it is:
Smoked Salmon

Bear

Thanks Bear I will check that out.
As for today, the unsoaked was salty. I like salt but it overpowered the fish.
The soaked had hardly any salt and a nice flavor from the salmon.

I will probably eat both the soaked and the unsoaked because I do like salty. This will make a good snack at work.

Both were a bit tougher than other smoked fish I have made or had, but not quite jerky just more compact like the flakes were glued together.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky