Salmon dinner a' la WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
Kids wanted some Salmon for dinner, and since we live in the Pacific NW I did what any mans-man would do........ and scooted down to my local Costco and picked up a nice big fillet of salmon. 
biggrin.gif
 I cut it into 4 big chunks and gave it a bath of sesame oil, soy sauce, Yoshida's, and sweet chili sauce.

e6ce6c1e_IMG_1731.jpg

Loaded up the WSM with 1 chimney of lit Lazzari lump and 3 small pieces of cherry wood, no water in the pan, and all vents 100% open. Put the salmon on when it hit 250°.
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

5dc77e04_IMG_1732.jpg

Half hour later it was done.... had that perfect doneness of flaking, but not dried out.
th_violent5.gif

81ac216a_IMG_1733.jpg

Piled onto a plate of pure goodness! There were no left overs!
4a124f3f_IMG_1734.jpg

Thanks for looking!
drool.gif

Reactions: meateater
That Salmon looks mighty tasty, Johnny!

Kids must have been real happy!

One question---When you hook into one at Costco, do you loosen up the drag & play them awhile, or do you tighten it up & horse them in quick to keep them fresh?

Bear

That Salmon looks mighty tasty, Johnny!

Kids must have been real happy!

One question---When you hook into one at Costco, do you loosen up the drag & play them awhile, or do you tighten it up & horse them in quick to keep them fresh?

Bear
I just grab them with my bare  hands and wrestle them into the cart! LOL

Thanks all! It really was a great way to do salmon, and it's nice to actually smoke something for less than an hour.... lol. I have yet to get a bad piece of salmon at our local Costco, they do a real good job on a lot of their meats.

icon_cool.gif

I'm not a bog fan of Salmon either but my wife could eat her weight in it. You sure have made it look good enough that I might just go get some and smoke it for her for tomorrows dinner special sinces our daughter is coming into town.

icon_cool.gif

I'm not a bog fan of Salmon either but my wife could eat her weight in it. You sure have made it look good enough that I might just go get some and smoke it for her for tomorrows dinner special sinces our daughter is coming into town.
You might even like it this way mballi.... it really mellows out the fish flavor, for folks that aren't a huge fan. I think a good addition would be to hit it with a small amount of fresh lime juice right before serving it.

You might even like it this way mballi.... it really mellows out the fish flavor, for folks that aren't a huge fan. I think a good addition would be to hit it with a small amount of fresh lime juice right before serving it.
now that sounds good! I have had store bought smoked salmon and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either... I have a feeling the fresh stuff is a going to be a completely different story.

Very nice !!!!!!  You have to reel them in quick or the Sea Lions will get them....Hate them Sea Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Very nice !!!!!!  You have to reel them in quick or the Sea Lions will get them....Hate them Sea Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Well last time I went out on a salmon fishing charter off the Oregon coast, I ended up catching a 79 lb. 6 ft. blue shark..... sealions didn't seem to bother him at all..... lol.

Well last time I went out on a salmon fishing charter off the Oregon coast, I ended up catching a 79 lb. 6 ft. blue shark..... sealions didn't seem to bother him at all..... lol.
Speaking of which, have you check around the commercial docks in the Portland area to see if you have anyone selling fish off the boat, legally.  We have a couple up here in Bellingham and I can usually get some great looking salmon, which were caught up in Alaska and flash frozen  in St Petersburg.  The only way to get fresher is to catch your own.  And with all the fees and fuel and weather, well, sometimes you can snag one at Costco or Haggens (aka Top Foods) easier.  Have you done any tuna fishing yet?  Now that's a blast.  When I was stationed at Mt Hebo AFS, near Tillamook, my neighbor had a dory and he'd invite us to go out near Haystack Rock- Pacific City.  Ah the memories. 

Oh, by the way, that's some nice looking salmon you got there.

I got all the ingredients to make some. All I need is wild caught. I ain't buying that pool raised China or Chile salmonstein  garbage at my local ...............! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky