Salami Sticks Are Ready

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
The salami sticks are having the collagen casings removed today.
IMG_2887.JPG

I cut the over ends and bottoms off.
IMG_8366.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

These will go in a brown paper bag and back in fridge for a couple days.
IMG_4767.JPG

These sticks are a cure2 recipe with fermentation.
PLEASE Do not attemp this if you are not familiar with the use of cure 2. Do lots of reading.

If you feel like you need fancy equipment then by all means get it. I use pH test strips for these. Thats what you need to watch.

Conditioning
68*-77*.....pH 5.8

Fermenting
64.4*-77*....pH 5.6-5.2

Drying
64.4*-71.6.....pH 5.2-4.8

Those are looking great! Ive only done a couple small batches of stuff with cure 2. Whats your thoughts on test strips vs a digital meter? Is a meter worth the cost? Are there any accuracy difference between the two? Id like to get more into dried sausages but as you stated ph readings are very important.

nice looking sticks! Now that's what I call a brown bag special...I'll take two please! No experience with cure 2 here either, but alot of what you makes looks really good.

Ryan

Those are looking great! Ive only done a couple small batches of stuff with cure 2. Whats your thoughts on test strips vs a digital meter? Is a meter worth the cost? Are there any accuracy difference between the two? Id like to get more into dried sausages but as you stated ph readings are very important.
The ph meters can be expensive. If your going to make lots of dry salumi i guess you would benefit from a meter. If your just going to make a few pounds here and there then the pHydrion strips in both 3.9-5.7 & 4.9 to 6.9 range would work. pH strips about $11 ea container VS the meter at $95 and the pH meat probe at $105 = $200+

Nice looking sticks Rick.
Not familiar with #2 cure. Some explanation please.

Warren
Here is some good cure 1 & 2 info.

Prague Powder #1
Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. Cures are used to prevent meats from spoiling when being cooked or smoked at low temperatures (under 200 degrees F). This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution. As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to ‘gas out’ at about 130 degrees F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20% of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 is required to cure 100 lbs of meat. A more typical measurement for home use is 1 level tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Mix with cold water, then mix into meat like you would mix seasonings into meat.

Prague Powder #2
Used to dry-cure products. Prague powder #2 is a mixture of 1 part sodium nitrite, .64 parts sodium nitrate and 16 parts salt. (1 oz. of sodium nitrite with .64 oz. of sodium nitrate to each lb. of salt.) It is primarily used in dry-curing Use with products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. This cure, which is sodium nitrate, acts like a time release, slowly breaking down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide. This allows you to dry cure products that take much longer to cure. A cure with sodium nitrite would dissipate too quickly. Use 1 oz. of cure for 25 lbs. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5 lbs. of meat when mixing with meat. When using a cure in a brine solution, follow a recipe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky