• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Safely Defrosting Brisket

socalq

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 6, 2012
I have a frozen 12 lb vacuum-packed brisket packer that I'd like to smoke Friday night. In a perfect world, I would want to have the meat defrosted by Friday morning so I can rub and inject it.

I don't think it will be defrosted in 24 hours if I let it sit in the refrigerator. What's the safest way to get the meat defrosted by Friday morning - at least to the point where I can rub and inject it?

Thanks!

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Leave it in it's plastic and place it in a 5 lb. bucket, fill the bucket about half full of ice then place it in the tub and fill the bucket with cold water. Once the bucket is full continue a tiny stream of running water, add more ice every hour or so. It will take several hours to thaw, but this is how a lot of restraunts thaw out large chunks of frozen meat in a hurry. The ice is needed to keep the temps cold, but not freezing - ideally you would shoot for a water temp around between 32° and 35°.

This is a bit of a pain to do right, but it is the fastest way to safely thaw a large chunk of meat.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2013
Hello JIRodriguez.  GREAT TIP!  I can see it may be a pain but needs must.  Learn something new almost everyday here.  Thanks for posting.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

little smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 4, 2011

Leave it in it's plastic and place it in a 5 lb. bucket, fill the bucket about half full of ice then place it in the tub and fill the bucket with cold water. Once the bucket is full continue a tiny stream of running water, add more ice every hour or so. It will take several hours to thaw, but this is how a lot of restraunts thaw out large chunks of frozen meat in a hurry. The ice is needed to keep the temps cold, but not freezing - ideally you would shoot for a water temp around between 32° and 35°.

This is a bit of a pain to do right, but it is the fastest way to safely thaw a large chunk of meat.
Exactly how I learned working in hotels and restaurants.  Good job JLRodriguez

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.