Safely Defrosting Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

socalq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Southern California
I have a frozen 12 lb vacuum-packed brisket packer that I'd like to smoke Friday night. In a perfect world, I would want to have the meat defrosted by Friday morning so I can rub and inject it.

I don't think it will be defrosted in 24 hours if I let it sit in the refrigerator. What's the safest way to get the meat defrosted by Friday morning - at least to the point where I can rub and inject it?

Thanks!

Leave it in it's plastic and place it in a 5 lb. bucket, fill the bucket about half full of ice then place it in the tub and fill the bucket with cold water. Once the bucket is full continue a tiny stream of running water, add more ice every hour or so. It will take several hours to thaw, but this is how a lot of restraunts thaw out large chunks of frozen meat in a hurry. The ice is needed to keep the temps cold, but not freezing - ideally you would shoot for a water temp around between 32° and 35°.

This is a bit of a pain to do right, but it is the fastest way to safely thaw a large chunk of meat.

Reactions: kc5tpy

Leave it in it's plastic and place it in a 5 lb. bucket, fill the bucket about half full of ice then place it in the tub and fill the bucket with cold water. Once the bucket is full continue a tiny stream of running water, add more ice every hour or so. It will take several hours to thaw, but this is how a lot of restraunts thaw out large chunks of frozen meat in a hurry. The ice is needed to keep the temps cold, but not freezing - ideally you would shoot for a water temp around between 32° and 35°.

This is a bit of a pain to do right, but it is the fastest way to safely thaw a large chunk of meat.
Exactly how I learned working in hotels and restaurants.  Good job JLRodriguez

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky