Safe to eat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kayhold

Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
We bought a brisket about a week and a half ago, it says to use by Dec 20th. Today I noticed the bag wasn't sealed and a little air has gotten it, and it's turned brown. I know oxidization itself is fine, but since briskets are vacuum sealed, I'm not sure how safe this is to eat.

Would you eat it, or exchange it?

Just the fridge. The "sell by" date is the 20th, and since the store keeps them unfrozen, I assumed I would, also.

I'm no food safety expert so I will leave the decision to someone who knows a lot more than me but I would never keep raw meat in the fridge for over a few days. I don't even like to keep cooked meat for over a week.

Up to a week and a half unsealed?
I'd exchange it.
Any sealed meat that isn't going to be used within a day should be put on ice and used within a few short days, IMHO.
~Martin
There you go kayhold, an expert has spoken!

Thanks Martin!

Thanks. I don't know how long ago the bag seal broke, but I am going to take it back and try to exchange it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky