Rusty Coal Tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Elbrooko

Original poster
Apr 11, 2022
My bbq and grills are in good condition but my coal tray is very rusty. Is this safe? Obviously no food will touch this part but was wondering about fumes making the food bad or worse making us ill?

Been googling but I just keep finding questions about the grills themselves.

To replace the tray is almost as much as the bbq. Not sure I could clean it well enough.

Attachments

• 20220411_115717.jpg
    20220411_115717.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 32
I recently got a "rescue" Weber grill and most surfaces are clean. The grates that hold the charcoal are pretty rusted, although still work well for holding charcoal. I'm assuming as long as the rust isn't making contact with the food it's safe? Just hoping some here can confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigfurmn
If you tend to always clean it up that nice after cooks, I'd keep it sprayed (both sides) with cheap Pam-style cooking oil. Will retard the rust process, although yours looks like there's still a lot of steel left. It'll smoke a bit, with that cheap cooking oil smell, for a minute the next time you use it but it's only temporary and is completely safe...unlike motor oil.

I agree with others that rust is pretty much non-toxic but it is porous so can harbor a lot of bacterial nasties...stepping on a rusty nail is the classic tetanus menace. But before you put your meat on the grill, you heat these rusty steel parts well in excess of the peak temps (~150F) at which the bad things can thrive so there's no risk there.

Reactions: bbqjefff
I think it should definitely be fine. I would spray it or even scrub some off but that's not that big of a deal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky