Rustic Tuscan bird...Extreme heat cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
Had a half bird to use up and i felt like a different style seasoning so i broke out the Rustic Tuscan from Costco....sprinkled a little Jack Stack all purpose also. 

No cook pics but i put it on my rotisserie and fed the fire with maple and oak...letting the flames gently kiss it most of the cook.  Average temps were 450-600 but times  over 700*   So cool to cook this way because you can watch the chicken juice goodness boil under the skin and slowly transform it into (well) this
drool.gif
    When you cook poultry this hot the bones and connective tissues really break down....hence the wing just pulled off with the roti fork.  Perfect skin, no burning and juicy goodness. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Reactions: themule69
That's a good looking bird.  If you don't mind, how do you cook a bird at those temperatures and not get any burning?  Did you have any flare up problems?  Sure looks like good eating.

Thanks

Ed

That's a good looking bird.  If you don't mind, how do you cook a bird at those temperatures and not get any burning?  Did you have any flare up problems?  Sure looks like good eating.

Thanks

Ed
When a bird is on a rotisserie it constantly self bastes so the juices don't spill out.   I'm cooking over a  fire of splits so any juice is instantly vaporized pretty much... Also lots of times i cook 1/2 bird and putting it on the spit that way it cooks with the skinnier profile facing the fire which helps also.     Most people are used to rotisserie over a kettle grill or gas grill but over a fire is big time different. The distance from the fire to the meat might be 15-20 "s  getting fire kissed vs when you're over say a Weber kettle it's much closer.  

Last edited:
That's a beautiful bird! Nice and moist with crispy skin, just the way I like them. That must have finished quick at that heat! Looks great, thanks for posting.

That is a fine looking yard bird!

points.gif

Happy smoken.

David
Appreciate it David, I got burned out on chicken for a while but i'm back! lol
That's a beautiful bird! Nice and moist with crispy skin, just the way I like them. That must have finished quick at that heat! Looks great, thanks for posting.
Thanks!   You'd be surprised really only the wing and maybe the leg skin crisps up, the rest stays so wet with juice it can't crisp...but is extremely bite through. 

Last edited:
I've never tried the seasonings you mentioned, but it sure made the chick look pretty! (Does that sound a little sexist?) If it was as good as it looked, it must have been great.
a38.gif

hmmmmm, thx for the motivation.....time to get the Bubba Keg & spinner outta the shop & set up since weather is getting nice.....I use coals but, you're right about that fast and furious heat coming up outta that keg kissing the bird...delicious cook......Willie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky