rueben sammies question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
the best one i have eaten in along time was at the State Fair of Texas,

it was put on a pretzel bun, grilled slightly and oh so good

darn i cant wait that long for another one, gotta find somewhere that makes pretzel buns..lol

as for russian dressing, the one i grew up eating was not a dairy based dressing...here....not my recipe but very very similar

2/3 cup vegetable oil
lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp. garlic
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 to 3 tsp. onion sauce
2 tbsp. chili sauce
salt and pepper

Place the vinegar, garlic, mustard, chili sauce and onion juice in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.

Whisk or blend the ingredients together very well.

Drizzle the vegetable oil into the bowl in a thin, steady stream, whisking it vigorously as you go.

When most of the oil has been incorporated, taste the dressing. Add lemon juice to make it more tangy or continue blending in oil to mellow the flavor. It should have a balanced tart-tangy flavor.

Continue whisking or blending after all the ingredients are in to keep the dressing from separating quickly.

Chill until ready to use. If the dressing separates, whisk or shake it well before using.

Tips & Warnings

This dressing is best made in a blender, food processor, or handheld blade-style blender. The blades chop the coarse chili sauce and garlic into miniscule pieces much better than you could do by hand. By letting the machine run for a few moments after all the ingredients are incorporated, the dressing gets so well emulsified that it won't separate for days.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16163_make-r...-dressing.html

Here is Emiril's Reuben recipe. I hope its ok to post. The dressing is about what I expect on a Reuben.

2 pounds quality corned beef, very thinly sliced
12 slices Jewish-rye or marble-rye bread
1 recipe Emeril's Russian Dressing, recipe follows
12 ounces sauerkraut
12 slices good quality Swiss cheese
1 quart store-bought cole slaw, divided
4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
6 kosher dill pickles, halved or quartered if large

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the corned beef in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with a little water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Lay the bread slices on a clean work surface and spread 1 side of each slice with some of the Russian dressing. Layer 1/2 of the slices with some of the corned beef. Divide the sauerkraut evenly over the meat, then top the sauerkraut with the slices of cheese and cole slaw. Place the remaining bread slices on top, dressing sides down, and set aside.
Heat 2 heavy large skillets over medium heat. When hot, brush 1 side of each sandwich with some of the butter and place in the hot pans, buttered sides down, and cook until crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Spread the unbuttered, top sides of the sandwiches with the remaining butter and turn the sandwiches to cook on the second side until golden brown, crispy, and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half on the diagonal, then serve immediately, with remaining cole slaw and a kosher dill pickle, for garnish.

EMERIL'S RUSSIAN DRESSING:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon minced yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced dill pickle
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Salt

In a bowl, combine all ingredients except salt and whisk until well-blended. Add salt to taste, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups

I saw him make it last night and it made me think of this thread.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Rodger -

I don't see why not it's on the internet. I went looking after reading Chefloyds to see if there was a difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky