Rudy's pork loin recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Probably how they do it in Texas anyway. Good luck! Totally gonna do some fooling around since loins are cheap and plentiful here.

If I remember correctly I don't think Rudy's uses very large pork loins, atomicsmoke atomicsmoke please correct me if I am wrong here because it's been a while since I have had the pork loin at Rudy's or at BBQ at a restaurant for that matter lol.

I feel like their pork loins are no bigger than about 3 inches in diameter making for a small tender pork loin.
The ones I buy at the store are massive 5-6 inch diameter ones that come in about 10 pound packs.

If brining small ones you could probably do longer whole chunks but with the giant pork loins I buy you basically have to cut them into chop form and brine them like they were boneless skinless chicken breast.

I hope this info helps out with your brining process :)

Tallbm,

The one i had seemed the same size i see in stores.

I started the brining process: 2% salt.

Thanks for the response.

How big of a chunk are you brining?

I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

I reluctantly (lol) brined the loins in 2% brine (meat and watee weight). After 10 days took it out and soaked it for a few hours. Then i cut a thin slice (in the middle) and fried it up. The texture was nice and was moist. But a little too salty. So i soaked a little longer. Then i dried it under a fan and smoked until 145F IT.
20180930_152311_HDR.jpg

Wrapped and let rest, then cooled and vacuum packed. I will let it rest in the fridge for a day then freeze for slicing.

I reluctantly (lol) brined the loins in 2% brine (meat and watee weight). After 10 days took it out and soaked it for a few hours. Then i cut a thin slice (in the middle) and fried it up. The texture was nice and was moist. But a little too salty. So i soaked a little longer. Then i dried it under a fan and smoked until 145F IT.
View attachment 377373

Wrapped and let rest, then cooled and vacuum packed. I will let it rest in the fridge for a day then freeze for slicing.

Try 2% water weight only. That should get closer to your taste...JJ

How much water did you use? I use 10% liquid and 1% salt by meat weight only for my injection. Works well and effect is subtle and would allow the use of rub too. Not entirely sure how brines and injections interplay. IIRC a classic brine is 6% salt...

Mad at myself... Meijer ran loins @ $1.17/lb last week and forgot. I get confused how the ads run.

I am confused. I thought you said below 2% (combined weight) i have to cook it in a few days.

You said 2% of the combined weight was too much. So 2% of just the water weight will be about half. Ex, 8lbs Butt and a Gallon Water (8lbs) you get 2% of 16lbs. If you take 2% of just the water, you get 2% of 8lbs...Half the salt of the first try. Or take 1% of the total weight. Same difference, half of last time. Make sense?...JJ

How much water did you use? I use 10% liquid and 1% salt by meat weight only for my injection. Works well and effect is subtle and would allow the use of rub too. Not entirely sure how brines and injections interplay. IIRC a classic brine is 6% salt...

Mad at myself... Meijer ran loins @ $1.17/lb last week and forgot. I get confused how the ads run.
Water and meat weights were about the same. I did not inject.

Since i wanted to try a long cure time (aiming for texture like Rudy's) i thought from earlier posts here i cannot go below 2%.
Anyway it's all good...after soaking.

You said 2% of the combined weight was too much. So 2% of just the water weight will be about half. Ex, 8lbs Butt and a Gallon Water (8lbs) you get 2% of 16lbs. If you take 2% of just the water, you get 2% of 8lbs...Half the salt of the first try. Or take 1% of the total weight. Same difference, half of last time. Make sense?...JJ
Is not the math that confuses me...
Is it safe to cure for 10 days (no injection) in 1% brined (combined weight)?

At 2% water only, 1/2C Kosher Salt in a gallon water, I have had chicken go 3 days with no issue. I have never tried to go 10+ days at 2% water only. I suggest injecting. Otherwise, go for it. You won't have a Safety issue but there are Spoilage Bacteria that can grow in weak brines. Your nose will let you know they were there. Hedge your bet. Wash the meat with water then dump White Vinegar over the meat and place it in the Cold brine. Keep the brine container covered to keep out air. You should be fine but no guarantees...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
At 2% water only, 1/2C Kosher Salt in a gallon water, I have had chicken go 3 days with no issue. I have never tried to go 10+ days at 2% water only. I suggest injecting. Otherwise, go for it. You won't have a Safety issue but there are Spoilage Bacteria that can grow in weak brines. Your nose will let you know they were there. Hedge your bet. Wash the meat with water then dump White Vinegar over the meat and place it in the Cold brine. Keep the brine container covered to keep out air. You should be fine but no guarantees...JJ
Cool...will try that next time. Thanks Chef.

I used to be "morally opposed" :rolleyes: to injecting and considered it cheating but NOT anymore. Totally one of my secret weapons. Less wasteful, faster, better...

Reactions: chopsaw
Here it is sliced #4
20181006_151608-1.jpg

20181006_152433-1.jpg

I cooked this for a friend's party. Risky, but i love a challenge. It was a hit. I liked the texture. Not as good as Rudy's but it is now my favourite's method of cooking loin.
Thank you all for chiming in.

Reactions: zwiller
Here it is sliced #4
View attachment 377703
View attachment 377704

I cooked this for a friend's party. Risky, but i love a challenge. It was a hit. I liked the texture. Not as good as Rudy's but it is now my favourite's method of cooking loin.
Thank you all for chiming in.

Wow that looks good and basically looks like what I remember of Rudy's pork loin. I think you are close but the main thing is that it taste awesome even if you never replicate exactly what they produce.

I tried about 3 iterations of a Rudy's bbq sause and was getting close but what I last landed on would be great even if I never replicate their stuff. So I'm in the same boat in that regard :)

I liked the texture. Not as good as Rudy's but it is now my favourite's method of cooking loin.
It looks great.What did you end up doing brine wise?
I tried about 3 iterations of a Rudy's bbq sause and was getting close but what I last landed on would be great even if I never replicate their stuff. So I'm in the same boat in that regard :)
My Sause connection is at the Texas state fair today,he'll be back with the goods Wednesday:cool:

It looks great.What did you end up doing brine wise?

My Sause connection is at the Texas state fair today,he'll be back with the goods Wednesday:cool:
Hahahaha a sause mule! :D

3lbs injected and waiting for smoker this weekend. Pellicle Friday (if I don't forget :D)

Went with:
10% water
1.5% salt
.5% phosphate
.25% msg
.1% granulated garlic

EDIT: Black pepper rub right?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky