Rudy's BBQ inspired smoked Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe that meatloaf is nothing short of gorgeous!! Big like on it!

Thanks for the big like jcam! I appreciate it. It was good.

Your loaf of meat looks quite the treat
The Rudy's glaze put me in a daze
Rudy's inside,Rudy's out,how did you ever live without?

Thanks moto, that is pretty impressive. You're a poet and don't even know it! I figured you'd like this since your're a Rudy's BBQ guy!

Beautiful! Been awhile since we had meatloaf. I think we are due now. Glad to hear you enjoy the CQD...JJ

Thanks JJ! It's been my go-to all purpose rub for quite a while. I have no reason to make another. My only substitutions are I use demerara sugar and omit the white pepper since I never have it. Sometimes I'll sub out the paprika for smoked...it all depends what's in the spice cabinet, but the essence of the rub is the same. Thanks again!

Well done Joe, it looks delicious!

Thanks Dan, it was pretty good to eat this again!

That looks fantastic! We haven't had meatloaf in awhile. Might give this a try. Though I don't have that brand of sauce or rub.

Thanks Steve! Me either, that's why I was craving one. You could use any brand or homemade bbq sauce/rub that you want. I've used the Heinz Texas and Carolina styles, SBR's...you name it.

The Rudy's bbq sauce is tangy with a good black pepper bite. My wife's coworker travels to Oklahoma to visit her husband when he's stationed there for work, so she's brought some back for me on occasion. You could order it online, it's kinda pricey, so I was appreciative when I recieved it for smoking the cheese.

That's a fantastic piece of work, the meatloaf is gorgeous. Like, RAY

Thanks Ray, it really did have a nice color to it. It tasted good too!

I know what I’m trying next! Looks amazing

Thanks Tampa! I appreciate the kind words. If you haven't smoked meatloaf yet, give it a try! It's hard to go back to regular old meatloaf again. If you have a recipe or a favorite recipe, pop it in the smoker and you'll be glad you did.

Excellent looking meatloaf Joe, I just made two the other day. They're all sliced and frozen for future work dinners.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the point Chris! They do freeze well and make great leftovers. Ours never make it to the freezer, we just eat meatloaf for dinner for 2 or 3 days until it's all gone.

That is one fine looking meatloaf Joe!
The color is unreal!!
Al

Thanks Al! It had a gorgeous red color to it before I even rubbed on the BBQ glaze. No photo trickery there!

Joe, What a nice job on that meatloaf....looks fantastic.

LIKE!

John

Thank you John! appreciate it.

Look at the color on that block of meat! Man that looks great! Guess what we had for supper tonight?? Meatloaf, mac and cheese, butter beans and cornbread. LOL! Oh! with good ole sweet iced tea!

Thanks Hawg, yeah the color was nice! Your meatloaf with sides and tea sound perfect!!!!

Wow Joe that's two awesome threads in a row I have read of yours! Looks like you were busy this weekend! I have never been a huge meatloaf fan myself but that finished shot might have just changed my mind. Outstanding cook!

That looks outstanding, and I like them free formed on the smoker too. I'm making that soon!

Once a year I order some "Sause" and the regular rub for a big cook every July. I met Doc Holiday 15 or 16 years ago at the Country Store location on the Seaworld exit in San Antonio, this was about the time he was taking Rudy's to the franchise route. He was a cool guy.

Thanks Thirdeye! I like to mix it the night before, that way there’s less of a mess to worry about on smoking day. I just run a knife around the edges of the meatloaf pan, turn it over and it just plops right out.

Yeah, I’ll definitely order more sause when I run out! It’s worth it

Over the top beautiful loaf of meat!

Thanks!

Looks awesome :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Do you deliver?:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I don’t know how well meatloaf holds up to shipping. Come on over!

Joe that looks great a slice for me without the Onion please. Likes
Richie

Thanks Richie, I’ll hold the onion and fry some up on the side when you’re ready for dinner. Thanks for the like, appreciate it.

those pic's are absolutely mouth-watering.

Thanks! It was tasty too!!

Wow Joe that's two awesome threads in a row I have read of yours! Looks like you were busy this weekend! I have never been a huge meatloaf fan myself but that finished shot might have just changed my mind. Outstanding cook!

Thanks John! It was a relaxing weekend. The smoker held well so I didn’t even need to mess with it. Just a cold day though. Sunday we went looking at Xmas lights.

I’ve had some bad meatloaf as well, it all depends on how you want to season it. It could be pretty bland if you let it. I’ve never liked the ketchup aspect of it or making a glaze with it. Before I started smoking them, I added chopped garlic and used A1 instead of ketchup..and for the glaze it was A1 mixed with dijon.

Lovely loaf! Big like!
that is one great looking meal! got to love smoked meatloaf

Thanks guys! Still have one more dinner off of it.

That is one spectacular looking meal Joe!! The meatloaf is gorgeous and God knows we all love your Arugula salad. So simple yet so good. I did a version of it Sunday night using only my garlic infused olive oil and spicy vinegar as a dressing and we both just loved it!! Congrats to you on another fantastic meal and a much deserved ride on the carousel!! That meal is exactly the sort of inspiration I mentioned in a thread last week. Great job my friend and a big LIKE!!

Late to the party but I made it,
Robert

That is one spectacular looking meal Joe!! The meatloaf is gorgeous and God knows we all love your Arugula salad. So simple yet so good. I did a version of it Sunday night using only my garlic infused olive oil and spicy vinegar as a dressing and we both just loved it!! Congrats to you on another fantastic meal and a much deserved ride on the carousel!! That meal is exactly the sort of inspiration I mentioned in a thread last week. Great job my friend and a big LIKE!!

Late to the party but I made it,
Robert

Thanks Robert, I appreciate it! The garlic olive oil would be a great addition to the salad.

I’m an olive oil and vinegar guy, so the dressing sounds fantastic!! Probably don’t need to add much more than that!

Thanks Robert, I appreciate it! The garlic olive oil would be a great addition to the salad.

I’m an olive oil and vinegar guy, so the dressing sounds fantastic!! Probably don’t need to add much more than that!

You are absolutely right on all counts!! The dressing was perfect. yours should be there in a couple of days. Just hang in there....Side note though. I sent bottles of the vinegar and olive oil to another forum emeber who got them yesterday. She made a salad using just that for dressing. Said the pepper vinegar has a fantastic flavor but not a lot of spice tingle. The olive oil is perfect though!! A bit more time to steep with the peppers may amp up the flavor. I'm going to open a couple bottles that I made up recently and check the spice level. If it's not there, I may add more peppers but that remains to be seen

Robert

You are absolutely right on all counts!! The dressing was perfect. yours should be there in a couple of days. Just hang in there....Side note though. I sent bottles of the vinegar and olive oil to another forum emeber who got them yesterday. She made a salad using just that for dressing. Said the pepper vinegar has a fantastic flavor but not a lot of spice tingle. The olive oil is perfect though!! A bit more time to steep with the peppers may amp up the flavor. I'm going to open a couple bottles that I made up recently and check the spice level. If it's not there, I may add more peppers but that remains to be seen

Robert

5907C91B-4591-4F40-B6CE-DE6640779DE8.jpeg

My bottles have a lot of peppers and I don’t think they are overwhelmingly hot. You would think by looking at the bottles you could melt paint, but it’s not the case. They have a quick upfront burst of heat and then it quick dissipates.

The bottle on the right (Tabasco) i transferred the vinegar into another bottle and boiled more to add to the bottle, that has the same amount of heat as the previous bottle. Don’t know how many bottles I could get out of it.

I think the spiciness is more directly related to the pepper, especially those on the lower end of the scoville scale. I’m really interested in making some vinegar with hotter peppers and seeing how that goes. A fruitier pepper, like a habanero has my curiosity peaked.

I’m really interested in making some vinegar with hotter peppers and seeing how that goes. A fruitier pepper, like a habanero has my curiosity peaked

I'm with you on this one....to a degree. My first bottle I put 15 cayenne peppers in it, then kept topping it off with vinegar as I'd make other batches for holiday gifts. After a couple times of doing that I was concerned that it may lose some heat by diluting the spiciness each time adding vinegar. Last time around I added 2 large dried Arbol peppers when I topped the jar off. Took a taste the other day and it's got a pretty hefty does of spiciness to it. What you have on the way is fresh Serrano peppers, fresh ardol peppers, and a few dried Arbol peppers. Not nearly as many as you have in yours but all have a good dose of heat to them. I am considering stopping and getting a pack of Habaneros though.

Robert

I just noticed something with your peppers. Cut the ends with the stems off of them before you put them in the bottle. This will allow the vinegar to actually get inside of the peppers where all the goodness is.

Robert

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky