Rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dog1234

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Breaux Bridge, LA
The wife wants to get me something for fathers day. I just started smoking meats. I am confused about all the rubs offered. I see I lot of discussion about Jeff Rubs.

What rubs do you recomend for a beginner?

Should I use different types for different foods?

I want her to get me some for fathers day.......

Holla Back Thanks

Dog1234 

Shoney check out my converted smoker. Its on a thread I stared. Forgot how to find it. I cured last night ready for chicken tomorrow while fabricating a gate....

Thanks for the help with the sausge

I use a modified version of Jeff's rub. His rub is great, but I felt the need to tweek it just a bit to satisfy my families taste buds.
biggrin.gif

A nice Fathers Day present might be Jeff's new Book... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121962/jeffs-new-book-is-available

As far as rubs go...Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...Anything else, just ask...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

You may also like this for Ribs...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

i did a spreadsheet of all the rub recipes from this site on-time. along with a ratio of 8:3:3:1:1  i noticed some things.

most all start with the basic few spices in differing proportions:  sugar,salt,pepper, onion and garlic.

from there add heat to taste. ancho chilli,cayenne, chipotle etc etc

the exotics for flavor: all spice, cooca, coffe , corriander,cumin, ginger etc etc.

here is one of my favorite for ribs.

8 tbs fine ground turbinado or brown sugar

• 3 TBS sea salt -fine
  • 3 TBS Hungarian paprika
  • 1 TBS cocoa
  • 1 tsp Chiplotle
  • 1 tsp cayenne 60k
  • 1 tsp ancho chile
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 2 tsp granulated garlic powder
  • 2 tsp granulated onion powder
  • 2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground clove
  • 1 tsp ground white pepper

it's basic and from time time i try new proportions of different spices.

A nice Fathers Day present might be Jeff's new Book... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121962/jeffs-new-book-is-available

As far as rubs go...Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...Anything else, just ask...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

You may also like this for Ribs...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj
This is real close to what I have been making for a while now .....My wife puts it on everything..... She put it in some mac-n-cheese the other night....She said that it was the best thing since white bread.....
roflmao.gif
....I haven't tried it with the chili powder or the allspice, but if JJ said it's good I will be giving it a try next time I make a batch.....

I bought Jeff's recipes but they were not to my liking. A few tweaks here and there and I have something more to my liking. One thing we will probably agree on is that we have individual tastes. Unfortunately, my best rub was a giant pile of all the random sampling of store bought seasoning mixtures, rubs, and leftovers. I cant begin to wonder how many different spices were in there. 

I have officially been converted. Rather than screw up a good thing, I followed Jeff's recipe for a mustard/rub combo on my first Boston Butt in the new smoker. It was delicious. Not sure what changed excpet that I may have used too little mustard the first time. Whatever,.... it was good this time and I will continue to support his product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky