RUAWAY LOCOMOTIVE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Dang WSM18 started climbing in temperature---shut some bottom vents---kept rising---shut all bottom vents. Peeked in door for possible flame-No Flame--SHUT top vent-Still climbing. "She's gonna blow!"

If your lid and main body are round then after a few good smokes they'll seal themselves. If they are out of round then you may have to give it a bear hug adjustment. WSM aren't airtight especially when new(ish), but they improve with usage.

BTW what was your tgt. temp and how high did it climb?
Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
If your lid and main body are round then after a few good smokes they'll seal themselves. If they are out of round then you may have to give it a bear hug adjustment. WSM aren't airtight especially when new(ish), but they improve with usage.

BTW what was your tgt. temp and how high did it climb?
Chris
Target was 225° to 240°. It got to 265--real fast. I was panicking---It had just chugged along so pretty for several hours---then BAM! I think by me taking the lid off to cool down must have made it worse??? Opinion?
By the way--that crappy door has sealed--I need another smoke or two to seal the lid. This wind I cook in has been rough on us new folks. Thx Chris

Reactions: WV_Crusader
The wind is the worst, I actually wrap with a fiberglass blanket to keep it out of the bottom and it helps immensely.
Looks like a little R2 unit trying to blend in with the Jedi.
MVIMG_20201018_153002.jpg

Target was 225° to 240°. It got to 265--real fast. I was panicking---It had just chugged along so pretty for several hours---then BAM! I think by me taking the lid off to cool down must have made it worse??? Opinion?
By the way--that crappy door has sealed--I need another smoke or two to seal the lid. This wind I cook in has been rough on us new folks. Thx Chris
Taking the lid off did not help things. It made things worse.

Reactions: bar-b-que blues
Not sure what you were cooking but 265 doesn't seem like something to worry about. Temps fluctuate and as long as you can keep it between 225-300 I say you're good. As you practice more you will get better at dialing it in. I saw you say you closed off the exhaust vent. Never do that. It will create acrid heavy smoke that will taste horrible. Control with bottom vent and even prop the door open if need be

As Jake said don’t obsess about the temp so much, it will settle in at whatever it feels like running that day, just go with it. When you open the lid the fire gets a rush of O2, that will bring the temp up so don’t leave the lid off too much. Also, once again as Jake said keep the top vent open all the way. Depending on the outside temp you may need to shut 2 of the vents & just leave the other one just cranked open about 1/2 inch. If your in a real cold climate you may need to keep all the bottom vents open all the way & keep adding charcoal & wood. It’s a learning experience, every time you use it it will get easier.
Al

Not sure what you were cooking but 265 doesn't seem like something to worry about. Temps fluctuate and as long as you can keep it between 225-300 I say you're good. As you practice more you will get better at dialing it in. I saw you say you closed off the exhaust vent. Never do that. It will create acrid heavy smoke that will taste horrible. Control with bottom vent and even prop the door open if need be
My MENTOR------Geez--I didn't know any of that---Thanks so much Jake-----I owe you big time., Charlie

As Jake said don’t obsess about the temp so much, it will settle in at whatever it feels like running that day, just go with it. When you open the lid the fire gets a rush of O2, that will bring the temp up so don’t leave the lid off too much. Also, once again as Jake said keep the top vent open all the way. Depending on the outside temp you may need to shut 2 of the vents & just leave the other one just cranked open about 1/2 inch. If your in a real cold climate you may need to keep all the bottom vents open all the way & keep adding charcoal & wood. It’s a learning experience, every time you use it it will get easier.
Al
It’s a learning experience, every time you use it it will get easier. Thanks Al--I sure hope so--Thanks so much for everything. Charlie
( and I was opening the lid to "cool" it down....LOL)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky